Upgrade to v22 seems to have caused some permission issue

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 22.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): PHP 7.4.3

The issue you are facing:
The Nextcloud windows client is saying;
Server replied “403 Forbidden” to “MKCOL https://fqdn/remote.php/dav/files/<username & folder>”
When I try to look for logs only the system and use ‘sudo -i’ it runs the initial script from tech and me.
FWIW - I recreated the system in October last year - I think on v19 and subsequently updated to v20 iirc.
This weekend I planned to update to v21 but it was erroring because v22 is released.

I followed the instructions to run the built-in upgrade CLI which was able to update the v21.x after I chown’d the folder;
sudo chown www-data:www-data -R /var/www/nextcloud

Then I ran the update again to update to v22 and it re-adjusted the permissions
sudo bash /var/scripts/update.sh

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. observe faults in the windows sync client
  2. try to run sudo -i in the console

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

unable to retrieve at the moment because of the sudo issue

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

I rolled my VM back to v20 still had the issue so it isn’t the upgrade.
I deleted the startup script so I can sudo too.

Now it looks like the issue is the smbshares are unable to mount - I assume this in turn means no storage available to my accounts which is why I’m getting the issue. Possibly/maybe this is related to the Windows update on the hyper-v host that installed this weekend too, given the roll back gives similar symptoms (I saw the ‘cannot mount smbshares’ during boot)

OK - Embarrassing :confused:

turns out to be a DNS issue. For reasons I do not yet understand, the VM couldn’t ping the Windows host where the SMBShares are located. Thus, can’t mount.

Short-term workaround has been to add an entry to the /etc/hosts file. Now that the Windows host can be seen, the SMBShares mount, and the client is able to sync once more