Upgrade to 26.0.2 and php8.1 vs php8.2

I recently upgraded my server from Fedora 37 to Fedora 38 and I did not realize at the time that as part of that upgrade php was upgrade to php8.2 needless to say it broke my Nextcloud install that was running v25.

As a temp measure, I installed php8.1 so now Nextcloud is currently running with php8.1 while the other three web applications are running with php8.2.

My question, as Nextcloud 26.0.2 is now released which I understand supports php8.2 is do I do the upgrade while still running php8.1 and then once the install is completed replace php8.1 with php8.2 OR should the upgrade be done utilizing php8.2?

[/details]

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 26.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Fedora 38
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1 / 8.2

Do the upgrade with 8.1. With the switch to 8.2 you can even wait until you have updated to 27, that version should then work stable on 8.2

You can of course switch to 8.2 earlier, but keep 8.1 handy if there are apps that don’t quite get along with it yet.

1 Like

Thanks ernolf. That helps to clarify on how I should proceed.

Hello,

I am running Nextcloud on Fedora 37 and am about to do the upgrade to 38. I’m in a similar situation with version mismatches. I am using the fedora package of Nextcloud which has me at 25.0.3. Fedora 38 has now updated the official version of Nextcloud past 25, but they went to 27.0.2 along with php 8.2. I don’t see any 26 packages for Fedora 38. I understand that I want to avoid multiple version updates.

So my question is how I might want to approach this update. I know I can manually update Nextcloud to 26 on my machine here, but I think that might break the upgrade process.

Phild09, what did you eventually do and how did it go?
I realize this is more of a Fedora issue, but if anyone else has any advice that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi Klgroves
I did run two versions of php (8.1 and 8.2) for a while until I had installed a version of Nextcloud that supported php8.2. It has been a while but I think that was 26.0.2 but can’t say for sure now. Anyhow, once I had the required version of Nextcloud, I then switched Nextcloud over to php8.2. too and all has been fine. Everything is running without a hitch.

Thanks.
Do you have Nextcloud installed from the Fedora repositories or did you install it on your own? Trying to figure out if there is a v26 for Fedora 38 I could upgrade through to avoid the two version upgrade.

Thanks.

No - I used the zips at Nextcloud to perform the Nextcloud upgrades.

Ok, thanks.
In case anyone else finds their way here and used the official Fedora package to install Nextcloud on Fedora 37, you can successfully upgrade using the Nextcloud 26 rpm package for Fedora 39, and then proceed with the upgrade to Fedora 38 which in turn will upgrade Nextcloud to version 27.
Of course, after each dnf upgrade of Nextcloud you will have to fix the the file ownership issue before running the upgrade in Nextcloud.

Looking forward, I am planning to migrate to a Docker image to avoid the inevitable issues with the Fedora package.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.