Upgrade from php 7.3 to php 7.4

Hi,
I have a little instance of nextcloud running for a little npo ( nc 17.0.2 I guess on php 7.3). On the same hosting I have other apps : wordpress, mediawiki…

For the other apps, I have upgraded the server from php 7.3 to php 7.4.

And now, nextcloud is down :
This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with > PHP 7.3.
You are currently running 7.4.16.

So I’m trying to upgrade manually as described here :
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/maintenance/upgrade.html

But there is a lot of nc 18.0.n !
Witch minor versions must be run, witch can be skipped ?

I’ve not found indications about the required versions of php for each nc version. Is this information available somewhere ?

Thanks for your suggestions and your help.

Vincent aka FrViPofm

You can always move to the latest minor version directly. Only skipping major versions is not possible.

You are currently on NC17? In case upgrade to latest NC17 point release first, then latest 18. Then you can use the web updater to further upgrade until at least NC20 (19 is EOL already) as NC18 supports PHP7.4: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/18/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html
In the docs you can select the Nextcloud version at the bottom to check requirements.

If you - hopefully - have only a little instance you can better reinstall nextcloud.

The alternative is:

Nextcloud 17 → Nextcloud 18 → Nextcloud 19 → Nextcloud 20 → Nextcloud 21 - > Nextcloud 22 .

I think you can use instead of self install Nextcloud on hosting better a Managed Nextcloud. Separate perhaps your data hosting from wordpress, mediawiki, …

Thanks

@MichaIng
I’ve insttalled NC 17.0.10 but…

This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with > PHP 7.3.
You are currently running 7.4.16.

I’ve still not found a table with the requirement for the versions of NC. But now I know that NC 17 doest not run with php 7.4. Unless it a way to switch the version checker and try running… But it is above my ability.

@devnull
Managed Nextcloud ? That is a “ready to use” solution ? Without fees ? (my little NPO has no incomes)
Wordpress, mediawiki and nextcloud are on the same cheap hosting.

I’m trying now to run NC 18. Cross fingers.

How much users? How much storage? Country?
Perhaps you can also migrate your Nextcloud to another free hoster to separate it.

Ah yes makes sense, as PHP is still required to finish the upgrade. I guess upgrading directly to latest NC18 should work fine. As always, keep a backup.

An alternative would be to reinstall PHP7.3 for the NC17->18 upgrade, as usually multiple PHP version “run” fine aside of each other. You don’t need to integrate it into webserver or so, the CLI is sufficient to run sudo -u www-data php7.3 /path/to/nextcloud/occ upgrade (or whatever user runs the webserver) on the command line.

Hum… It sounds difficult to me to manage the subdomains ( cloud.example.com, wiki.example.com ) and the certificates on several servers.

Today, i’m hosted at Gandi ( https://gandi.net ) on a shared hosting.

Country? France
How much storage? Some GB, few bandwidth, few CPU.
How much users? very few today. But you will see tomorrow… Billions… At least… :slight_smile:

If you use a Managed Nextcloud you can use in your DNS settings the option CNAME e.g. for cloud.example.com and switch it to the Managed Nextcloud provider. And yes this is not for free. I think you must pay e.g. 5 - 10 Euro per month for 500 GB and 10 users.