Upgrade from Php 7.2 to 7.3 | Internal Server Error

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if someone could help as I’m going round in circles the last couple of hours and can’t seem to pinpoint the issues.

I have followed this guide with regards to updating my NextCloud installation from Php 7.2 to 7.3

The upgrade on the command line seems to go through ok but when I disable 7.2 in apache and enable 7.3 and restart apache I get an internal server error. I have tried reloading the page while tailing the Apache Log, Error Log, NextCloud Log, NextCloud Error Log and can;t pinpoint why this is happening.

When I disable 7.3, enable 7.2, and restart apache things all go back to normal and are working again. From what I can see all the same packages have been installed on 7.3 as 7.2.

Currently, the server is running on Ubuntu Server 18 and is locally installed (not with Docker or Snap) and was set up by the previous IT guy who left no instructions or info for his installation!! NextCloud is currently running version 20.0.9.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated as I’m pulling my hair out now.

Please execute “index.php” manually with your webserver user e.g.

sudo -u www-data php /path/to/nextcloud/index.php

Post messages.

Thanks for coming back to me… This is the message I got from the CLI when I enabled PHP 7.3 and get an internal server error in the browser.

Example Company
This application requires JavaScript for correct operation. Please enable JavaScript and reload the page.

Example Company

Internal Server Error

The server was unable to complete your request.

If this happens again, please send the technical details below to the server administrator.

More details can be found in the server log.

<h3>Technical details</h3>
<ul>
	<li>Remote Address: </li>
	<li>Request ID: S1or8RaGUvD16X7qdh9Q</li>
		</ul>

</div>
			</main>
		</div>
	</div>
	<footer role="contentinfo">
		<p class="info">
			<a href="https://www.example.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener" class="entity-name">Example Slogan</a> – Exmaple Subline</p>
	</footer>
</body>

Finally found the answer, after comparing PHPinfo for 7.2 and 7.3 I found that Nextcloud was using Redis. Installed 7.3 Redis module and all working again.