Upgrade from NC 13

I have a home installation that Iā€™ve neglected. I started with Debian Jessie and Nextcloud 13.0.1.1. It would seem I made a mistake by upgrading the OS firstā€¦ stepping to Stretch and then to Buster while checking Nextcloud at each step. I was fine until I finished the ā€œapt-get dist-upgradeā€ to Buster at which point the site was unavailable.

Based on this thread, it would seem related to the PHP version change. Though I am happy enough to upgrade NC manually, I am concerned that the older occ upgrade scripts (13, 14, etc.) will have trouble with PHP 7.3. I could use a little guidance before I proceed and make things any worse.

By the way, just to confirm that Iā€™ve understoodā€¦ I am intending to first upgrade to 13.0.12 and then to the last dot release for each major version in turn (14.0.14, 15.0.14, 16.0.11, etc.). Is that right?

Cheers,
Pab

Yes thatā€™s correct.

Yes that is the tricky part. You need to run a supported version for each upgrade. So Iā€™d first upgrade as far as possible with debian jessie. You can check in the documentation the supported versions.

Thanks for responding!

To clarify, I am already on Buster with NC still at 13 hence the concern. I was doubting how to move forward from here. I guess the trick now is to install older versions of PHP to move me along the NC path. I welcome suggestions, but will start looking at how to do this.

Iā€™m making progress, but Iā€™ve hit a snag.

Thankfully, Buster already includes both PHP 7.0 and 7.3 so Iā€™ve set the update-alternatives to use 7.0 for php, phar and phar.phar. In theory, this should allow me to run the occ upgrade per each versionā€™s system requirements.

However, Buster doesnā€™t include libapache2-mod-php7.0. Step 10 of the guide (V.13) states that apache should be restarted and then I should run occ upgrade in step 11. Is it strictly necessary that apache be up in order to run the occ upgrade script ? Or is that normally simply as good a time as any and not a true requirement?

Not idea, but I also wonā€™t be able to login to the web UI to validate versions, etc.

Feedback most appreciated!
Pab

For Nextcloud itself, it should be ok to run just the command-line upgrades. Iā€™m not sure about the apps, if some of them do stuff during upgrades and what happens if you havenā€™t logged in. But I suppose you have a backup so you can go back to the initial version. If you go just with command line, you should go through all the upgrades pretty quickly