Upgrade from 9.53 to 10

Hi everybody!

I just tried to upgrade my self-hosted Nextcloud from version 9.53 to 10.01 but I had some trouble with it.

But first of all, the shared host has the PHP-Version 7.0, the database is MySQL and I installed Nextcloud with a 1-click-installer. As expected the initial installation worked fine so far.

Trying to update to version 10 showed me that I am nothing but a newbie :wink: I read the article of Nextcloud blogger Hagen Graf (https://hagen.cocoate.com/2016/08/26/update-nextcloud-version-9-53-10-0/) as well as the official manual for the upgrade (https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/10/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html).

The first two points of the manual (backup and download of version 10) weren’t that difficult. But I don’t know how to stop the web server as mentioned in point three. The topics four to eight were easy again, but as I wasn’t able to stop the web server I am neither able to restart it (point nine). Can I do these two topics (number three and nine) on my own or do I need to ask my web-hoster how to find and do it? Point number ten seams to be the same problem as I don’t know where and how to use the command line.

Thanks for the kind help!

Hi there,

Thanks for your answer.

Following your advice, I got in touch with my web-hoster and they told me that due to lack of experience they aren’t able to help me with the upgrade. But they adviced me to do a brand-new installation of version 10 in order to copy the personal files and the config.php of version 9.53 into it later on.

Therefore I changed the folder name of the actual Nextcloud installation to Nextcloud_old, then I created a new Nextcloud folder and copied the setup-nextcloud.php of the Web Installer into it. But when I pointed the browser (I tried it with Firefox and Chromium) on the setup file in the new folder I got a 404 error message, telling me that I haven’t got access to this page. Honestly I don’t know what went wrong, considering that I followed the installation instructions of the Nextcloud homepage (https://nextcloud.com/install/#instructions-server).

Furthermore I’d like to make the installation onto a subdomain of my main domain but the Nextcloud folder is in the root folder. How can I do it? And am I able to use the already existing MySQL database of the 9.53 installation or do I need to create a new one? Is it furthermore possible to copy the config.php file of version 9.53 as well as the already uploaded personal files into the new folder?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the kind community help!

Hi Tim,

Thanks for all your kind help.

I just made it to install version 10 on my hosted web space and although during the configuration I filled in the data base info given by my web hoster, I got the following two error reports:

Error mysql.setup Database creation failed: An exception occurred
while executing ‘GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON web176_db4 . * TO ‘web176’’:
SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1044 Access denied
for user ‘web176’@‘localhost’ to database ‘web176_db4’

Error mysql.setup Specific user creation failed: An exception occurred
while executing ‘SELECT user FROM mysql.user WHERE user=?’ with params
[“oc_admin-dank245”]: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation:
1142 SELECT command denied to user ‘web176’@‘localhost’ for table ‘user’

Actually, the system works fine and regarding my web hoster the configuration looks as it should look like. But when I log in as admin (not as a common user) I get the above mentioned error reports.

Have you got a clue what could have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance!

The upgrade from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2 solved out the database issue. So I understand it as RESOLVED.

Thanks!