Upgrade from 27.1 to 28.0.6 has broken "Files"

Nextcloud version (eg, 29.0.5): 28.0.6
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 29.04): AlmaLinux 8
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.37
PHP version (eg, 8.3): 8.2

The issue you are facing:

After upgrade to 28.0.6 from 27.1 suddenly now the “All Files” area is blank. I can access files by going into “Shares”, but is behaving very strangely.

I will try to explain step by step with screenshots.

1. “All Files” is blank on initial Login

1. If I click “Shares” I can see all my configured “folders”

1. Click on the “Software” “Share” results again in a blank page

1. However, if I append the Folder name of “Software” to the URL then I can see the contents of the Software folder again.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Yes

Can anyone help on how to resolve this?

Do you have any old External Storage mounts or remote shares that are currently not working?

If you put your cursor over the disabled “+ New” button is there a tooltip that pops up with an explanation?

Have you checked your Nextcloud log for any hints?

Hi.

1. No external file shares.

2. The tooltip just says “you don’t have permission to create files here” but I don’t believe that because on the file system everything is owned by apache:apache user/group (this has not changed since upgrade).

3. The biggest clue that I just figured out, is this is only for my user. I created a new user and logged in and everything is ok. I can create files and see files shared to that new user.

Somehow its like my user is corrupted? Any way to reset? Or can I copy all to new user, delete current user, create again and copy back?

The tooltip just says “you don’t have permission to create files here” but I don’t believe that because on the file system everything is owned by apache:apache user/group (this has not changed since upgrade).

The permissions may not be at the OS level. It also may be a misleading message. The details are in your log so as I stated: Please take a look at at your nextcloud.log. :slight_smile:

Just figured out the problem.

It is due to “Show folder description” being checked in the “File Settings” area (lower left corner).

If I uncheck main area of screen comes back per normal…

If I check then everything disappears on main screen.

somehow these “folder descriptions” are missing? How to add?

In that case, it may be an existing reported bug that only impacts certain environments. The underlying cause remains unknown: [Bug]: Trouble accessing data for certain users: "Exception thrown: OCP\Files\GenericFileException" when Rich Workspaces is enabled w/ external storage and ldap · Issue #42663 · nextcloud/server · GitHub

As I said: your log will have the specifics to confirm whether you have other indications it is the same situation.

Ahh. yes, /data directory for user files is a SMB share.

Will follow that thread.

Many thanks for all your help! :slightly_smiling_face: