Updating a "forgotten" install version 9

Hi,

I want to update a nextcloud install version 9.1.6 to the latest.
It is a personal private non-commercial install for 5 friends that never looked at the settings.

The settings refer to Owncloud but it defenitely is Nextcloud.

Does someone have a link on how to get this “on the road” again?

Version
Nextcloud 10.0 (production)

Entwickelt von der Nextcloud community, der Quellcode ist lizensiert unter AGPL-Lizenz.

Eine neue Version ist verfügbar: ownCloud 9.1.8 Update-Kanal:

Regards,
Jan

You need to get through each major version:
-> latest NC 9.0.x -> latest 10.0.x -> latest 11.0.x ->…-> latest NC 19.0.x

Hi,
the problem is not how to make all the updates, I just finished an update from another install from 13 to 19.
I have here an install telling to upgrade to OWNcloud, it is however NEXTcloud.
I do not know what will happen when i start the updater.

Probably there is no other way then to backup everything and just do it, what do you think?

Regards,
Jan

What sort of installation is it? Manual?

Use the built in updater.phar and go each version at the time.

It can be found in /path/to/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar

Hi,

thanks for the reactions, I will backup and run the updater, see what is going to happen.
I ran the updater in other installs without much problems, a few indices and columns, i just hope the first ones will workout ok.

Another question, is there a link for conversions from owncloud to nextcloud?
I am planning to bring all installs to nextcloud my installs are mostly a (nonpaid) service for customers.

regards,
Jan

this: Nextcloud - Migration guide ?

Thanks,

looks really easy. I will run the conversion on one of my test-installs.

When all goes well, i have a lot of (unpaid) work to do.
I offer my customers NC as a (much more secure) replacement for dropbox.

Regards,
Jan

I do not know your operation system and version. But it think you must also dist-upgrade your operation system at the correct positions. I you post your operation system (Ubuntu, Debian with version) perhaps someone can post the position to dist-upgrade that you do not need e.g. a php version from another source.

Hi,
i run ubuntu 16.04, and 18,04 with multiple PHP-versions from 5.6 up to 7.4.
Every 4 years I transfer everything to a new fresh server.

Regards,
Jan

Yes. But if you update Nextcloud two times each year you can better dist-upgrade Ubuntu from LTS to LTS release every two years. Then you must not use php-versions from other sources (PPA). I think for Nextcloud 20 you should or could use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Nextcloud 20 rollout is end of this week :wink:

Life is more then running updates.
I am bringing all to Nextcloud 19 now and converting all Ownclouds to Nextcloud.

The updateritis that is normal nowadays is bad for stability.
I used to be a systemmanager for IBM 36/38 As400 and later for DEC PDP and DEC Vax.
An update was done much less and those machines ran years even without rebooting.

A 4-year update for Linux is enough, running Plesk, the PHP-versions are updated and offered to use in the automatic update.

Lots of software still need PHP 5.6.

If you manage 6 Server with about 200 Domains and a load of Webapps then updating needs to be carefully planned. From the first vserver to 6 in only 2 years means i now have to bring more structure in it all.

Bringing all “clouds” to Nextcloud is one step to a better managability.

Regards,
Jan

Yes, you can reinstall your Ubuntu every 4 years if you really like it.
But normal Ubuntu admins dist-upgrade every 2 years and never reinstall.

If you have your servers with Hosteurope (now part of Godaddy) then they will advise you just what i do. This is one of the biggest european hosting companies.
I run Linux (desktop and server) since 1995 and have always installed a fresh OS and cleaned out the software to what i really use. The dist-upgrade can be done sure but if stability is a point then a fresh install is to be preferred, i have never read anything different in all the fora in english german and dutch that i use.
A “normal ubuntu admin” might think different but distro-independent admins do not follow your “rule”.

Lets keep it that way, because whatever system you use, it is OK as long as it is Linux.
I guess we agree on that.

Yes. Then i would reinstall every two years.