Updater: The update get stuck on "Deleting old files"

Nextcloud version : 17.0.2
Operating system and version : Debian 9
Apache or nginx version : Nginx
PHP version : 7.2

Hello !
I tried to update Nextcloud to 17.0.3 but the updater throws an error on the “Deleting old files” step. Here is the error showed to me:

Parsing response failed. <!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <title>Error</title> <style> body { width: 35em; margin: 0 auto; font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; } </style> </head> <body> <h1>An error occurred.</h1> <p>Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.<br/> Please try again later.</p> <p>If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.</p> <p><em>Faithfully yours, nginx.</em></p> </body> </html>

It is basicly the nginx html error page.
Every file and sub-folder is on www-data and in 755 (I also tried 777)

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? : Yes

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

There is no error output

It seems to be a time-out related problem.
The same happens to me macking the backup (step 3) but no files are being copied to the backup folder

1 Like

Hmmm… Interesting.
Did you manage to fix the problem ?

Any updates ?

Sorry for the late answer. I updated it manually. Every update in nextcloud has the same error for me, so i’m making manualley updates. Just back up the data folder and the config.php file

Do I have to backup the apps folder in order to keep the settings of my apps ?

I don’t think so. Maybe i’m wrong, but the apps’ config is stored into the database

Hey !
I updated to NC18 manually.
But yesterday I changed file permissions to www-data and 775, and when I tried to update from the web updater, it worked. So I guess that was a file permission problem.
Anyway, the problem is solved, so thank you very much ! :smiley:

1 Like

Could you elaborate on what files/folders you changed the permissions for?
I’m having the same issue.

I changed the permissions for the whole Nextcloud website directory.

Thank you!