Updater stuck at updating from 16.0.6.1 to 17.0.1

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): should be 17.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): Ubuntu 19.04 Server
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx 1.14.0
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.3.12

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):

Steps to replicate it:

1. Update from nextcloud 16.0.6.1 to 17.0.1

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Cant access the page

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'x',
  'passwordsalt' => 'x',
  'secret' => 'x',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'x',
    1 => '192.168.1.15',
    2 => 'xtk',
    3 => 'cloud.x.ml',
    4 => 'x.x.tk',
    5 => 'x.x.ml',
    6 => 'cloud.x.ga',
    7 => 'cloud.x.tk',
    8 => 'cloud.x.ml',
    9 => 'cloud.x.tk',
    10 => 'cloud.x.tk',
    11 => 'cloud.x.ml',
    12 => 'x.tk',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/home/data/',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '16.0.6.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'http://cloud.x.tk',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'nextclouduser',
  'dbpassword' => 'x',
  'installed' => true,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'ssl',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => 'x',
  'mail_domain' => 'gmail.com',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtphost' => 'smtp.gmail.com',
  'mail_smtpport' => '465',
  'mail_smtpname' => 'x@gmail.com',
  'mail_smtppassword' => 'x',
  'updater.release.channel' => 'stable',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'has_rebuilt_cache' => true,
  'debug' => true,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/nginx/error.log:

2019/12/15 13:44:09 [error] 622#622: *346 connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client: 192.168.1.14, server: localhost, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: ""
2019/12/15 13:44:23 [error] 622#622: *518 connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client: 192.168.1.14, server: localhost, request: "GET /ocs/v2.php/apps/notifications/api/v2/notifications HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: ""
2019/12/15 13:44:50 [error] 622#622: *553 connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client: 192.168.1.14, server: localhost, request: "POST /updater/index.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: ""

Updater stuck at updating.

Thanks for your help

Your php-fpm is not reachable, try to restart it, something like service php-fpm restart, if you enabled logging, you can check the logs why it stopped working.

I’ve restarted it many times. Retry the upgrade still the same issue. And debug is already turned on but there is nothing in the log file

Do you have shell access to the server?
Try to run update there as command:

sudo -u www-data php occ upgrade

this will give you at least more details about what is wrong there.

oot@nextcloud:/var/www/html/cloud# sudo -u www-data php occ upgrade
This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with > PHP 7.3.<br/>You are currently running 7.4.1.

Thats really whierd. I executed the command with PHP 7.3 and now comes the message that Nextcloud has already installed the latest version. That are the files failed intgrity check: https://hastebin.com/vasewoyeco.php
Also whierd is, if I click on the open updater button it shows at every point a checkmark(done is also checked) and a continue button. If I click it the button back to your Nextcloud instance to finish the update appears. If I click it I land on the default page (cloud.example.com). Really whierd

Have the same issue with command line and php after upgrade of my Ubuntu, based on this I moved back to php 7.3 via command:

sudo update-alternatives --set php /usr/bin/php7.3