Updater doesn't find NC11 release

Hi there!
Since NC11 is out I’d like to update. But my updater says I’m using 10.0.2 and my version is up to date. Update channel is stable.
What’s wrong with it and what logs should I share?

speranza@nextcloud$ sudo -u http occ -V
Nextcloud version 10.0.2
speranza@nextcloud$ sudo -u http occ upgrade
Nextcloud is already latest version

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature…

As stated here:

If you would like to update, you can do so by downloading the zip file on our download page and following the manual upgrade instructions or wait for 2-3 weeks until we make the new release available in the Nextcloud Updater app. If you prefer to update now already using the easy to use Updater app, you can set the release channel to beta this will give you Nextcloud 11 final. Be sure to set it back to stable after the upgrade is done!

1 Like

i tried updating using the beta channel. however, updater gives this:
Check for write permissions
The following places can not be written to:

/snap/nextcloud/389/htdocs/updater/../.

…and a long list of files follows.

i have occasionally made apt-get update and apt-get upgrade through ssh command line, but other than that, it’s a plain nextcloud box. any ideas?

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /snap/nextcloud
could solve it…

tried it, but i guess it didn’t change the permissions:
chown: changing ownership of '/snap/nextcloud/389/COPYING': Read-only file system (and then a very long list with the same message about read-only file system in the end).

The snap is a read-only implementation and can’t be upgraded using the updater. You’ll need to wait until a snap update is published, at which point your install will upgrade automatically :slight_smile:

i don’t understand. so how is one to use the beta channel then, if the updater is unable to update to the latest beta, as announced in the beta channel?

If there’s a beta channel for the snap (@oparoz?) you could switch to that, but otherwise the updater isn’t used in the admin portal, it’s a side-effect of packaging the same code into different formats with different limitations.

i’m still confused. what is this supposed to mean then, as referred to in https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-11-sets-new-standard-for-security-and-scalability/ [quote=“Soko, post:3, topic:6235”]
If you prefer to update now already using the easy to use Updater app, you can set the release channel to beta this will give you Nextcloud 11 final. Be sure to set it back to stable after the upgrade is done!
[/quote]

There are two beta-chanels meant. The first is for the nextcloud-updater wich seems not to work for your instalation, as @JasonBayton stated.

The second would be a beta chanel for the snap…

If you downloaded the nextcloud zip file, installed Apache, MySQL and PHP on a server and then did a manual install of nextcloud, you can use the updater. This also applies if you bought a nextcloud instance from a hosting company.

If you have nextcloud box or installed nextcloud manually on a raspberrypi using a snap installer then the web updater isn’t for you, as nextcloud manage the updates automatically when they’re available… usually a little while after the main release.

1 Like

There are beta channels for the snap:

The beta should now have NC11

thanks, but as a nextcloud box user, how do i update? i changed update channel to beta but it does not propose any updates (am on 10.0.2 currently).

Ah, yes, it’s still in the develop branch…

Switch to the candidate channel.

there’s just stable, beta, daily & production as alternatives in the web admin panel. if there’s something elementary i’ve missed please indulge me, but otherwise, i can wait for the update to come to the stable channel if it is to come sooner rather than later?

$ sudo snap refresh --candidate nextcloud

1 Like

4 weeks passed still no updates via the updater. Did something go wrong?

2 Likes

Cool! And since PHP 7.1.1 is out I’m not able to upgrade using NC tools at all!

I’m scratching my head a little with this one. With the security of my files at stake I’m not inclined to jump off the stable channel. There was 10.0.3 but no 11 yet. Is it a lack of confidence in the new release or some other reason?