Updater button not working on IONOS Managed Nextcloud

Hi there,

I am currently using the Managed Nextcloud service with IONOS. Soon after setting it up, it had told me that my version was out of date.

I have been trying to update for a few months now and the updater button does not work.

Every time I click on it I am sent back to my dashboard.

I have asked for help from IONOS on at least 4 or 5 occasions - they know nothing about the app and keep sending me help guides from the Nextcloud website - and there is no specific information / guides for how to update the application on the IONOS version.

I have tried downloading the updater files, but that leaves me with lots of TXT files and a PHP file that I cannot open and don’t really know what to do with.

It would be great to know if there is a bug with that updater button and when this will be resolved.

Hello @tyra,

welcome to the community of Nextcloud.

Sadly enough your post is missing almost all specific technical information. Thanks for your post, but please take a little time to get acquainted with the forum and make a stronger effort to troubleshoot. It is the least you can do when asking others to help you:

• Search your question as keywords on this forum. If you find something useful, link it directly into this post.
  • Search the internet using your issue as generic keywords. Specificity is king:
    • php modules missing Ubuntu Snap update
  • If you have an error message, repeat this process to search for your error on the forum and internet.
  • If you do not find an answer, you are likely using the wrong keywords. Try simplifying your search on the forum and internet even more.
    • nextcloud php modules missing
  • Once you’ve done this you should be able to edit and update your post with specific technical information we can use to help you.
  • Check Nextcloud admin documentation

Please edit and update your post to include:

• Direct Links to any useful info pages, posts and other info you find.
  • Add screenshots to your post for context
  • If you have large log files to attach you can link to a pastebin
  • Fill out our support form and add into your post.

These are the exact same steps we volunteers will be following to help you! So, get to it!

Cheerio,
JimmyKater

That’s by design…
…you can’t update your hosted ionos cloud by yourself.
And: ionos got stuck at the moment by V 22.2.8 Enterprise.

If you want to have your ionos nextcloud instance upgraded, you have to contact the ionos support…

Sorry Jimmy,

normally you are right. But he posted everything we need to now:

Managed Nextcloud service with IONOS

:wink:

1 Like

I didn’t want to put it that directly (cos IONOS support was already contacted and didn’t reply adequately) but yes… Managed Instances are managed by their hosters. That’why they are managed instances…

Aaaaand I didn’t want to have our new user getting away so cheap by just asking things without giving out further information. Mean old me, I know :wink:

1 Like

Hi Soko,

Thank you very much for your help, very much appreciated!

I wish IONOS could have just explained this.

IONOS have now updated it since then. I think they are currently doing another update today as my account has gone into maintenance mode.

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for your reply

I’m not very familiar with the world of tech.

So I wouldn’t know where to start with using technical terms - I have tried to describe it as best as I can :slight_smile:

1 Like

At the moment they seem to be at
[Nextcloud Hub II] (23.0.7 Enterprise)

1 Like

In addition to what the pervious posters already said…

Basically, when you use a managed Nextcloud, you don’t always have all the freedom. Or somewhat casually said, if you use IONS (this also applies to other managed Nextcloud providers) you do not really use Nextcloud, but rather the IONS cloud, which is based on Nextcloud. There are many different Nextcloud hosting providers, which customize Nextcloud to a greater or lesser extent, and also the features and apps they provide can vary significantly.

If you are not satisfied with what IONS offers, you can look at several other solutions and providers. The offers go from completely managed, like the one you have now, over a dedicated Nextcloud instance on which you have full administrative control, up to install scripts on a virtual private server, on which you also have full root access to the underlying operating system (e.g. Linode). But with more control usually comes more responsibility. You then have to manage certain things yourself and, of course, deal more with the underlying technologies. Also dedicated instances or dedicated servers are usually more expensive.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.