Update from 22.2.3 to 22.2.4 fails

Notice: Nextcloud will be updated to version 22.2.4, The following apps will be updated: WebDAV (dav)

After clicking on “Start update” appears after a second: “An error has occurred”. Detailed log:
Prepare update
Log level set to “debug”.
Maintenance mode turned on
Repair MySQL collation
All tables already have the correct collation → nothing to do
Repair SQLite autoincrement
Copy data from accounts table when migrating from ownCloud
Drop account terms table when migrating from ownCloud
The database schema is updated
Database updated
Fix component of birthday calendars
8 birthday calendars updated.
Regenerating birthday calendars to use new icons and fix old birthday events without year
Repair step already executed
Fix broken values ​​of calendar objects
[0 / 0]: Fix broken values ​​of calendar objects
Registering building of calendar search index as background job
Register building of social profile search index as background job
Registering background jobs to update cache for webcal calendars
Added 0 background jobs to update webcal calendars
Registering building of calendar reminder index as background job
Clean up orphan event and contact data
0 events without a calendar have been cleaned up
0 properties without an events have been cleaned up
0 changes without a calendar have been cleaned up
0 cached events without a calendar subscription have been cleaned up
0 changes without a calendar subscription have been cleaned up
0 contacts without an address book have been cleaned up
0 properties without a contact have been cleaned up
0 changes without an address book have been cleaned up
Remove activity entries from private events
Removed 0 activity entries
Clean up old calendar subscriptions from deleted users that were not cleaned-up
[9 / 9]: Clean up old calendar subscriptions from deleted users that were not cleaned-up
[9 / 9]: Clean up old calendar subscriptions from deleted users that were not cleaned-up
There has been an error.

So it won’t tell me what error occurred. Nothing in the PHP error log either. I reset the database but Nextcloud stays in install mode.

How do I get out of this endless loop (the install mode)? Which files do I have to delete?

Hi,

I have the same issue, so I’m staying on 22.2.3.

And how do I get out of the install mode? Once the installation has started, it cannot be terminated. I’m in an infinite loop.

In my case, I made a backup first, I just restored it.

I have a database backup. But not from the directory structure. I would never have expected such problems with such a small version jump from 22.2.3 to 22.2.4.
I am currently trying to restore the directory structure using a 22.2.3 download version.

I understand, but it happens sometimes. I prefer to make my own backup (database + borgbackup of full nextcloud dir), so it’s very easy to restore if needed.

Good luck :wink:

Hi,
I have had the same issue yesterday. Once you have restored the database, you don’t have to restore the directory structure. Just upload the 22.2.3 version of Nextcloud and extract it (maybe it’s what you mean by restoring the directory structure), then copy-paste the config file from your former installation, and make sure to swtich maintenance mode from "true’ to “false” into the config file.

Hope it will be useful. For now, I’m stuck here with this issue.

Just tried to upgrade from 22.2.3 to 22.2.5, the same issue is still here. Can you confirm please?

Mmh, seems working with php-7.4 but not with php-8.0.

Seems you are (nearly) the only one.

• Ubuntu 18.04.6
  • Apache 2.4.52
  • PHP 8.0.15
  • MySQL 8.0.28

Updated using the CLI ~2 weeks ago from 22.2.3 to 22.2.4 and just today to 22.2.5. No errors at all and the process went smooth like (almost) always.

Check (and show) the webserver logfile snippet referring to the failure after having done the update attempt. There must be written something more in there about why the update process hangs.

OK, now my NC is up to date to 22.2.5, I’m not sure about the logs when upgrade failed. Next time (22.2.6), I’ll retry with php8.0 and if it fails again, I’ll show logs here.
Thanks @Tamsy :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Thom1 How did you upgraded to 22.2.5 via occ?
In my case my nc instance website says 22.2.5 is available but ssh occ says Nexcloud is up to date.

Thanks.

Yes, I use occ. Do you first download and extract 22.2.5?

No, but I found the solution in my confused head. :slight_smile:

I have to updater.phar in first, the upgrade.
I had to check the manual before.

Thanks.