Update 11-11.0.1 fails with write permissions

Updater from 11 to 11.0.1 fails the write permissions check to /var/www/nextcloud/updater/…

Double-checked and, yes, the www root directory, the nextcloud subdirectory, and all other subdirectories are chowned by www-data:www-data with 0755 permissions.

No clue why the updater thinks it doesn’t have write permissions. Is it trying to install itself as something other than www-data?

Maybe see that : Update problem : open_basedir goes to ../

I don’t know what open_basedir is - is that a php.ini thing or something within Nextcloud itself? Also, previous updates worked perfectly fine so is this a new thing do you know? Thanks.

this was the first time for me too, maybe they will see a problem soon :wink: .
The open_basedir is a variable in php configuration. maybe in /etc/, somewhere.
Do you owne your server yourself ? do you maintain it and can access all files ?
are you using apache ? nginx ?

and last question : do you play moba ? which one ? :smiley:

Unfortunately, open_basedir is a total fail for me because my data directory is separate from my Nextcloud installation and setting open_basedir to my /var/www/nextcloud/ denies access to all my data. Any idea how to set two directories?

I maintain my own server and use apache. And I have no idea what moba is!! :slight_smile:

Have you try the strong permission script? here–>https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/9.0/admin_manual/installation/installation_wizard.html

Also for your data directory change permissions to: chowm -R www-data:www-data /NCDataPath

I’m not sure what you mean. The issue doesn’t have to do with installation or my data directory. The issue has to do with a change to the updater that requires a change to php.ini that fails on my system.

That did the trick for me:

chown -R www-data:www-data nextcloud_web_dir (-R)

note: I’m currently using Ubuntu