Unknown user 'Bamboo Shoot" appears on a shared file when said file (text document) is opened elsewhere

Unknown user 'Bamboo Shoot" appears on a shared file when said file (text document) is opened elsewhere:
Bamboo Shoot

Why is that “user” there? For the record, no such user exists in my Nextcloud installation.
A while after the shared text document that was opened elsewhere is closed, the “user” disappears from the file.
So it would seem to be legit and would seem to be something Nextcloud just does?

If so… Why? What is its purpose? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

Nextcloud version: 24.0.6
Operating system and version: CentOS 7.9.2009
Apache or nginx version: Apache 2.4.6
PHP version: 8.0.24

Surely not. I’ve never heard of such a thing.

Do you have federation enabled?

I think you should review your server logs.

Thanks for the reply.
I checked the federation settings. I don’t think I’ve ever manually did anything with those settings, but some were enabled, maybe by default. I now disabled all federation related settings, since it is not something that would be of use for me on this server anyway.

I just now tested again, opening the shared text file in a different browser where I’m not logged in to Nextcloud:
Opening in Chrome (like I did hours ago): user ‘Bamboo Shoots’ (again) appears on the shared file.
Opening in Edge: User ‘Bell Pepper’ appears on the shared file.
Closing those two browser windows will again make those “users” disappear from the file.

I did a ‘grep’ on the word ‘Bamboo’ on my Nexctcloud server, and found the following in /apps/text/js/editor.js:

["Artichoke","Arugula","Asparagus","Avocado","Bamboo Shoot","Bean Sprout","Bean","Beet","Belgian Endive","Bell Pepper","Bitter Melon","Bitter Gourd","Bok Choy","Broccoli","Brussels Sprout","Burdock Root","Cabbage","Calabash","Caper","Carrot","Cassava","Cauliflower","Celery","Celery Root","Celtuce","Chayote","Chinese Broccoli","Corn","Baby Corn","Cucumber","English Cucumber","Gherkin","Pickling Cucumber","Daikon Radish","Edamame","Eggplant","Elephant Garlic","Endive","Curly","Escarole","Fennel","Fiddlehead","Galangal","Garlic","Ginger","Grape Leave","Green Bean","Wax Bean","Green","Amaranth Leave","Beet Green","Collard Green","Dandelion Green","Kale","Kohlrabi Green","Mustard Green","Rapini","Spinach","Swiss Chard","Turnip Green","Hearts of Palm","Horseradish","Jerusalem Artichoke","Jícama","Kale","Curly","Lacinato","Ornamental","Kohlrabi","Leeks","Lemongrass","Lettuce","Butterhead","Iceberg","Leaf","Romaine","Lotus Root","Lotus Seed","Mushroom","Napa Cabbage","Nopales","Okra","Olive","Onion","Green Onion","Parsley","Parsley Root","Parsnip","Pepper","Plantain","Potato","Pumpkin","Purslane","Radicchio","Radish","Rutabaga","Shallots","Spinach","Squash","Sweet Potato","Swiss Chard","Taro","Tomatillo","Tomato","Turnip","Water Chestnut","Water Spinach","Watercress","Winter Melon","Yams","Zucchini"]

And there are several other files that pop up too in this ‘grep’ search.

Not sure what to make of this.

These are probably just place holder names, that do appear instead of of something generic, like e.g. “Guest”, when someone opens the file from a shared link and didn’t provide a name… So nothing to worry about.

You can review your web server logs to see if someone was connected, and from where.

As far as I can see, nothing seems particularly out of order there.

Probaply’ being the key word here…

But it seems silly that this does not seem to be mentioned anywhere? I mean… It can’t be that I’m the first one to see this and wonder why/what?

Confusing.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been on Nextcloud and this forum for years, and it’s the first I remember hearing of such a thing. Maybe you are the first.