Unable to theme nextCloud via config.php (I guess its my fault)

I followed the tutorial https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/12/developer_manual/core/theming.html step by step but my changes are not applied to the cloud. May someone help me? I don’t know what I am doing wrong… Or am I supposed to apply my custom styles only via js?

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you’re not using the app? When you go to the link you provided, it actually says:

Note
This is an advanced way of theming Nextcloud;
the Nextcloud team recommends instead the
use of the Theming app which, when enabled,
can be accessed from the Admin settings.

I used the app, and my logo and wording and colouring all came through fine.

If I would want to use the app I would simply do that. But I need to use advanced css styling and I need to change the favicon because my customer wants me to do that. Maybe the team shouldn’t note stuff like that and instead provide a tutorial that actually works…

Well, you didn’t say that, you simply said you couldn’t get themes to work.

Is that the only issue you have? Because that would have been a simpler question.

I don’t know about favicons, but perhaps you could start a new support question saying that you were able to change the logo, wording, and colouring via the app, but the advanced stuff didn’t allow you to change the favicon.

People are here to help you, but you can’t expect everybody to mind-read, understand your situation without context, or do all your work for you.

You probably noticed that not a lot of people jumped in to help. Your response to me demonstrates why.