Unable to create SMB/CIFS extenal location

Hi

Problem: I am unable to add Windows shares, and I get this message:

"smbclient" is not installed. Mounting of “SMB / CIFS”, “SMB / CIFS using OC login” is not possible. Please ask your system administrator to install it.

I installed Ubuntu Server on a VMWare VM, and selected the NextCloud option. Everything is up and running and my NC is running smooth. Connected to it from the iOS apps, and all is working well.

Problem: I am unable to add Windows shares, and I get this message:

"smbclient" is not installed. Mounting of “SMB / CIFS”, “SMB / CIFS using OC login” is not possible. Please ask your system administrator to install it.

I googled the issue and I am certainly not the only person experiencing this. There doesn’t seem to be a definitive solution to this. My VM has limited space, and if I cannot connect to a larger fileshare, it will be a dealbreaker.

I have tried all the suggested answers. I’ve consulted many sources but I just can’t seem to get it going.

Some of the sources I consulted:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/19/admin_manual/configuration_files/external_storage/smb.html

I have installed smbclient, cifs-utils, smbfs, php-smbclient.

Looking at the logs, I see a few “permission denied” problems…

[/details]

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 19.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25):
httpd -v : command not found
nginx -v: command not found

PHP version (eg, 7.1):
sever.address/phpinfo.php: File not Found

On NC, it shows as 7.3.20

This is starting to worry me. Why would none of these components appear to not be installed?

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. Install smbclient, etc. as above
  2. Mount windows shares
  3. Add external storage app to NC
  4. Get message about smbclient not being installed. (I did restart multiple times)

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Only some of the log entries:

[PHP] Error: opendir(/mnt/*********/): failed to open dir: Permission denied at /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#128

GET /ocs/v2.php/apps/text/workspace?path=%2Fdesktop+share
from ***.***.***.*** by *****_admin at 2020-07-25T20:48:51+00:00

[PHP] Error: stat(): stat failed for /*********/ at /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#145

PUT /index.php/apps/files_external/globalstorages/1
from ***.***.***.*** by *****_admin at 2020-07-25T20:27:00+00:00

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

unable to locate

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

unable to locate. can only see **syslog**