Unable to connect to Nextcloud Server from outside my network

This is my current setup:-

Windows 10 > Ubuntu 20.04 LTS installed through vmware workstation pro 16.1.1

I have then installed Nexcloud snap and all seems to work and I can access it through a local ip address of 192.168.253.xx

My Windows 10 machine has a local IP of 192.168.1.xx and external of 84.66.127.xx

On my router config page I have setup 2 port forwards

Port 80 pointing to 192.168.1.xx
Port 443 pointing to 192.168.1.xx

I’m then trying to setup a hostname. I have created one with no-ip.com aide199.ddns.net and have set up an A record and point it towards 84.66.127.xx

Does this look right? as I’m unable to connect using http://aide199.ddns.net

Thanks in advance

I can’t give you exact instructions, because I wouldn’t touch windows OR vmware with a 10 foot pole, but these are the basics that you need to think about;

Since the virtual machine is apparently getting a different subnet than your local network, you have it working on a virtual-lan type mode of operation and requiring NAT functionality at the HOST. This means that in order for network packets from the internet to get to it, the following has to be configured;
a) Open desired ports on the router firewall,
b) Forward ports to the HOST IP address,
c) Open desired ports on the HOST firewall,
d) Forward ports to the VM IP address,
e) Open desired ports on the VM firewall,
f) Listen on desired ports.

The VM management software (again, I don’t use vmware because they are quite loathsome) should have alternative modes of configuring the network, in particular, to join the same network as the host is on. This means that the VM will receive an IP address from your router using the same subnet as the HOST machine, and it saves you from having to muck around with the firewall and port forwarding at the HOST level. The process ends up simplified to the following;
a) Open port on the router firewall,
b) Forward port to the VM IP address,
c) Open port on the VM firewall,
d) Listen on the port.

IMO, you’d be a lot better off making Linux the host operating system, and putting the flakey toy in the VM.

1 Like

You need to setup your virtual machine in bridge mode and not NAT.