Unable to add tags to folders and documents

Hi everyone,

I’m running into an issue that I have not been able to find on the web.

I have created the tag in the Workflow settings called “CFO”. From what i’ve seen and figured the option to insert tags should be right here in above “Activities”:

https://gyazo.com/883558e8ffe78f8c1d087d7bec835ba5

However I do not see it.

Now comes the part that completely messes my mind up.
When i use the app Files Automated Tagging, and create a new folder that gets a tag automatically It shows that it has a tag in the activities log:

https://gyazo.com/5d95ed2e36e8d6b6b9faeb412df0c991

The tag has the correct name (CFO). The folder also applies for the rules from the app Files Access Control (When configured that when a folder has the tag CFO and the user trying to access is not a member of the correct group).

The ‘tag bar’ also shows here, however I am not able to modify add or delete any tags. I have tested every browser I can so it’s not a browser related issue.

I’m stuck on this problem and can’t figure it out.

My server is running on Nextcloud 14.0.4, PHP 7.2, MariaDB, Apache2

Please help!

I’ve been getting very similar effects.
From a new Nextcloud installation, I don’t see any box to add tags (which should be above “Activities”) for any of the initial default files and folders.
I created a few pre-defined tags from the admin account in Settings - Workflow.
I added a default tag for all uploaded files using the “Files Automated Tagging”, and then newly created files and folders (only) show a tags box, with “Collaborative tags” inside in grey. It’s possible to type into that box; but nothing persists, the typing just gets lost.
I can filter from t the file app for that pre-defined default tag, but it’s not much use if I can’t create other tags and assign them.

is it still not working? With me it IS working with NC16.3 at least.

I have to update this issue but for Nextcloud 18.0.1
Since Upgrade from 17.0.3 to 18.0.1 i did the following to avoid conflicts with old trash

sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:mode --on
sudo -u www-data php occ upgrade
sudo -u www-data php occ db:add-missing-indices
sudo -u www-data php occ db:convert-filecache-bigint
sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:mimetype:update-js
sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:mimetype:update-db
sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:theme:update
sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:update:htaccess
sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:repair
sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:mode --off

so far, so good

But now under NC 18.0.1 the Tag Button is switched behind the three dot button under Details. I click on Tag but nothing happen.
I have activated the automated tagging app since NC 17 but never the less it has been possible to manually tag files and folders as well … till today with the upgrade to NC 18.0.1

Tagging new files is as impossible as existing (old) files or folders - makes no difference

I tried it as normal user so as admin - same effect

Is there a known bug in NC 18 concerning tagging files / folders??

Manually tagging files is important for me to decide individually which files should be part of the files retention and which not.

3 Likes

Having the same problem as @chrissi55

A short search didn’t find any bug reports. Will try it on the weekend with another installation.
Will keep you informed.

@chrissi55
Did a quick check on another nc instance.

When I removed the talk app (version 8.0.4) tags are working again.
You have the talk app installed?

@thomasga

absolutely right!! I have the talk app enabled. And i directly did a test by deactivating it.
Voila Tgas are working again!!
Nice thing you figured out.

But i use talk so i re-enabled it again. Should be bugfixed by nextcloud stuff i think.

I did open a bug report.
Already fixed will be released with 18.0.2 or talk 8.0.5

https://github.com/nextcloud/spreed/issues/2989#issuecomment-589732699

1 Like

yes thanks i did the same but with another headliner …

But i remarked that the path apps/systemtags/src … is missing usually.
So i only could patch 2 of the 3 files that have been modified to fix the problem.

Never the less with patching /apps/systemtags/js/… files the tagging seems to work so far.

weirdly enough… manual tagging only works for me when the talk app is enabled…
talk app version: 8.0.5
Nextcloud version: 18.0.1 - 18.0.1.3 (as reported in the server configuration detail)

As pointed out by thomasga, it should have been fixed already in this version of the talk app… yet manual tagging doesn’t work now when the app is disabled…

Should I open a bug report or should I wait until Nextcloud 18.0.2 is released?

An old “friend” is back!

Since update from NC 19.0.1 to 19.0.2 i am not able to tag files or folders anylonger.

As before, the click on “Tags” do not open the input field to choice or to enter a tag name.

Could somebody be verify this new-old issue.
I am using system tags for sheduled retention - this is not possible at the moment.

Thanks

Update 11.09.2020
Error seems to be gone since 19.0.3 update this morning…
:slight_smile:

So I have this problem when the Talk app is NOT installed. The 3dot menu in the upper right corner of the details pane has an option for “Tags” but clicking it does nothing, certainly not show the tags field just below the preview image.

As soon as I add the “Talk” app, now I can manually tag stuff. I’m on NextCloud version 20.0.5 with Talk version 10.0.5 being the thing that seems to make tagging work again.

I have Talk installed, but the same issue as yours.