Unable to add external local storage

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version: 23.0.3
Operating system and version: Nextcloud is running in Docker, installed on Open Media Vault 6 on top of Debian 11
Apache or nginx version: nginx/1.18.0
PHP version: PHP 7.4.28

The issue you are facing:
Unable to add external local storage

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: Yes

Steps to replicate it:

1. Instal Debian 11 minimal, install OMV6 via official script, install Nextcloud with Let’s Encrypt per: Let's Encrypt, Nginx & Reverse Proxy Starter Guide - 2019 Edition | LinuxServer.io
  2. Install Nextcloud’s External Storage app
  3. Attempt to add local storage. Under configuration: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx/media/music-main

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

[PASTE HERE](https://pastebin.com/q7BpRbfu)

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'datadirectory' => '/data',
  'instanceid' => 'ocjz3s2quare',
  'passwordsalt' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'secret' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'nextcloud.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org',
  ),
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '23.0.3.2',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://nextcloud.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'mariadb',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'oc_admin',
  'dbpassword' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'installed' => true,
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

No logs present in that location on my Docker install

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

See pastebin link above

Because of your Pastebin i think you have set SMB/CIFS. But i think you need Local.
Also make sure that the user rights (user:group www-data:www-data) are set correctly.

I was trying SMB/CIFS, but only after attempting to link local external storage. I did see that the local attempts didn’t seem to be registering on the log.

The actual solution was much simpler. I was trying to link the absolute path, but this is a Docker install so I obviously had to mount the drive in the docker-compose first, then link the symbolic path :man_facepalming: