UI broken after Nextcloud 13 upgrade

Nextcloud version 13.0.0
Operating system and version Debian 9
Apache 2.4.25
PHP version 7.0

The issue you are facing:

After Webupgrade and manual occ upgrade in the shell (12.0.4 → 13.0.0) without any error messages, the UI when logging in into Nextcloud ist completely broken.
File synchronisation with Windows or Android client works fine.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Upgrade from NC 12.0.4 to 13.0.0

A few errors like the following appeared right after the upgrade in the Nextcloud.log, but Nextcloud is not producing any errors right now:

{"reqId":"xxxxxx","level":3,"time":"2018-02-06T17:03:49+01:00","remoteAddr":"111.111.111","user":"user","app":"PHP","method":"PROPFIND","url":"\/cloud\/remote.php\/dav\/files\/user\/FileA","message":"touch(): Unable to create file \/var\/www\/owncloud\/data\/appdata_oce0d2049014\/css\/core\/13795744-server.css.gzip because Permission denied at \/var\/www\/owncloud\/lib\/private\/Files\/Storage\/Local.php#204","userAgent":"Mozilla\/5.0 (Windows) mirall\/2.3.3 (build 1) (Nextcloud)","version":"13.0.0.14"}
{"reqId":"XXXXXXX","level":3,"time":"2018-02-06T17:03:49+01:00","remoteAddr":"111.111.111","user":"user","app":"core","method":"PROPFIND","url":"\/cloud\/remote.php\/dav\/files\/user\/FileA","message":"Exception: {\"Exception\":\"OCP\\\\Files\\\\NotFoundException\",\"Message\":\"\",\"Code\":0,\"Trace\":\"#0 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Files\\\/Node\\\/Node.php(217): OC\\\\Files\\\\Node\\\\Node->getFileInfo()\\n#1 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Files\\\/Node\\\/Node.php(117): OC\\\\Files\\\\Node\\\\Node->getPermissions()\\n#2 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Files\\\/Node\\\/File.php(62): OC\\\\Files\\\\Node\\\\Node->checkPermissions(2)\\n#3 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Files\\\/SimpleFS\\\/SimpleFile.php(95): OC\\\\Files\\\\Node\\\\File->putContent('\\\\x1F\\\\x8B\\\\x08\\\\x00\\\\x00\\\\x00\\\\x00\\\\x00\\\\x02\\\\x03\\\\xED}\\\\r\\\\x8F\\\\xE3...')\\n#4 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Template\\\/SCSSCacher.php(240): OC\\\\Files\\\\SimpleFS\\\\SimpleFile->putContent('\\\\x1F\\\\x8B\\\\x08\\\\x00\\\\x00\\\\x00\\\\x00\\\\x00\\\\x02\\\\x03\\\\xED}\\\\r\\\\x8F\\\\xE3...')\\n#5 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Template\\\/SCSSCacher.php(118): OC\\\\Template\\\\SCSSCacher->cache('\\\/var\\\/www\\\/ownclo...', '13795744-server...', 'server.scss', Object(OC\\\\Files\\\\SimpleFS\\\\SimpleFolder), '\\\/cloud\\\/core\\\/css')\\n#6 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Template\\\/CSSResourceLocator.php(109): OC\\\\Template\\\\SCSSCacher->process('\\\/var\\\/www\\\/ownclo...', 'core\\\/css\\\/server...', 'core')\\n#7 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Template\\\/CSSResourceLocator.php(61): OC\\\\Template\\\\CSSResourceLocator->cacheAndAppendScssIfExist('\\\/var\\\/www\\\/ownclo...', 'core\\\/css\\\/server...')\\n#8 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Template\\\/ResourceLocator.php(78): OC\\\\Template\\\\CSSResourceLocator->doFind('css\\\/server')\\n#9 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/TemplateLayout.php(266): OC\\\\Template\\\\ResourceLocator->find(Array)\\n#10 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/TemplateLayout.php(182): OC\\\\TemplateLayout::findStylesheetFiles(Array)\\n#11 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/legacy\\\/template.php(207): OC\\\\TemplateLayout->__construct('error', '')\\n#12 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Template\\\/Base.php(132): OC_Template->fetchPage()\\n#13 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/legacy\\\/template.php(315): OC\\\\Template\\\\Base->printPage()\\n#14 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/base.php(253): OC_Template::printErrorPage('Das Schreiben i...', 'Dies kann zumei...')\\n#15 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/base.php(666): OC::checkConfig()\\n#16 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/base.php(1080): OC::init()\\n#17 \\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/remote.php(112): require_once('\\\/var\\\/www\\\/ownclo...')\\n#18 {main}\",\"File\":\"\\\/var\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Files\\\/Node\\\/Node.php\",\"Line\":97}","userAgent":"Mozilla\/5.0 (Windows) mirall\/2.3.3 (build 1) (Nextcloud)","version":"13.0.0.14"}

The output of your Apache/system log in /var/log/____:

No Errors.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Might be an obvious question but Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

Yes, I allready cleared my browser cache - with no improvement.

If you are using Nginx, did you update the config?

Webserver is Apache 2.4.25.

According to your logs you are either missing files or do not have given Nextcloud permission to generate CSS from SCSS files

Are these SCSS files within my data directory? In which location will Nextcloud generate the CSS?
Is there any possibility to start that process again manually?

Just noticed that in nextclouds data-directory
/data/appdata_oce0d2049014/css/core/
the follwing two files, also mentioned in the error messages are empty.

-rw-r----- 1 www-data www-data 0 Feb 6 17:03 13795744-server.css
-rw-r----- 1 www-data www-data 0 Feb 6 17:03 13795744-server.css.deps

Does this cause the problem? How can i trigger a recreation of these two files?

Yes, thats most likely the issue. Try to delete them

Hello Bernhard,

I could finally solve the problem. I found an article about exactly the same problem, apparently caused by the new “theming” app. I never used any theming option so I simply disabled it with:

sudo -u www-data php /var/www/owncloud/occ app:disable theming

Nextcloud was then creating the before mentioned files and everything is working fine again.
Nevertheless I didn’t try to activate the theming app again, because I still don’t know what exactly caused the problem. Maybe a bug?

Thank you for your help!

I having the same issue.
Running on Nginx.

I run git so I probably dont have that app

Same bug here.
Debian 9, Apache 2.4.25
After upgrade, WebUI show that strange message.

In /var/log/apache2/error.log :
[:error] [pid 1987] [client 2001:470:cdcc:52::2:40852] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method OC_Defaults::replaceImagePath() in /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/URLGenerator.php on line 173

I’ve never played with theming things before.

Running sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ app:disable theming solved the problem.

There is an issue with generating the server-side css/js-cache:

Disabling theming is only an option if you don’t use it.

Upgrading from 12.0.5 to 13.0.0
I use a HTTPS-Proxy from my hoster to access my nexcloud.
To do this i configured
’overwritehost’
‘overwriteprotocol’
‘overwritewebroot’
‘overwrite.cli.url’

After upgrading to 13.0.0. I received an empty white page as login.
For testing i removed the overwrite-entries and called nextcloud over http. Everything worked fine.
So i deleted appdata-cache css and js as described above. It didn’t help.

Disabling the theming-app fixed my problem.