Ubuntu-Upgrade from 19.10 to 20.04.2 LTS breaks NextCloud


I am running Ubuntu 19.10 and NC As it was running out of support, I need to upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04.
I have upgraded to 20.04 but everytime I try to open NextCloud, I get an Internal Server Error 500.
In the nextcloud.log-file I could not find any hint.
apache2-Accesslog also does not help further.

What I have done so far:

  • Upgraded the OS and updated (hopefully) all necessary modules for PHP (7.3 > 7.4)
  • Looed in nextcloud.log (in the data folder) and in apache2-accesslog

Did someone go through this upgrade path and give me some hints what I could have missed to update? Currently, I went back to the old OS - before I upgrade again, I would lke to have some new things to try out without having a downtime that is too long (the upgrade also takes a while …)


500 errors should be logged by both apache and by nextcloud, and possibly by php as well. Please provide all 3 logs, since without them, nobody here can even start to guess at what is wrong.

did you enable the new version in apache? (ask google how to. :wink: )

the search function of this board can guide you…


thanks for the quick replies. I will do an update after work…

Uh … that would be the easiest thing :open_mouth:
As PHP7.3 is uninstalled / upgraded to 7.4 I expected, that apache2 was changed accordingly.

I will provide them, if I do not get on.
If I solved it, I will be back with the solution.



“vertrauen ist gut, kontrolle ist besser” as we say in german. :wink:

Überprüfe auch welche php.ini verwendet wird
check the location of the php.ini

Thanks. It was a little bit confusing:
Todays dist-upgrade threw me an error 503. I did not do anything else than a “do-release-upgrade”.
After some quick investigation, it seemed, that fpm did not accept calls from the local IP on port 9000. So conf’d it to listen to it and now it worked.

Und danke für die Hinweise und Tipps - das mit der PHP.ini hat mich zur Lösung gebracht.
@Reiner_Nippes: das ist normal mein Spruch :slight_smile: In diesem Fall hat das mit der Verwendung der richtigen PHP-Version beim Apachen sogar funktioniert.

Ja, ich kann auch deutsch, dachte nur ich mach’s in englisch, um den Leserkreis zu vergrößern.