Two emails for one user?

Hi everyone,

when creating a user, one can add an email address so that the user will receive notifications per email.
Is it possible to enter 2 email addresses for one user ?!

Thanks
V

No, but if you set up your own email server, you can create an alias for the user that directs messages to multiple email addresses.

Thank you Larry for your reply.

Yes that would be a workaround. Still, I wish it would be possible to enter 2 emails for a user.

It seems like a pretty strange feature to me. I’d understand the use for having multiple recovery emails, but why would you want to get the same notification email multiple times? Recipient could also set up a forwarding rule on the first email.

I agree that it would be a strange feature, but I am interested in your use case why would an individual need two separate email addresses to use in NC? NC Mail supports Multiple mail accounts! Personal and company account? No problem, and a nice unified inbox. Connect any IMAP account.

You can also enter multiple email addresses in a contact list…

Thank you Larry for your reply.
Yes that would be a workaround. Still, I wish it would be possible to enter 2 emails for a user.

I would like two persons to share 1 NC account.
If I could have notifications sent to 2 emails, then both persons would be notified when e.g. some new documents have been shared etc…

Give them both a separate account and assign them the same common resources on which you want them notified.

My scenario for this feature would be the following.
I host a domain (actually I manage two similar setups) where:

• a mailserver infrastructure and Nextcloud are both connected to the same user backend
  • therefore users’ mail and Nextcloud password is the same
  • if a user forgets his/her password, the mail gets sent to the mail account which he/she also cannot reach (possibly)

My workaround would be selectively forwarding these password recovery mails through a sieve filter, but that has to be set by the admin - me - on a per user basis, as NC Mail’s sieve editor is a bit too technical. Reseting their passwords manually by me will have too much of a delay

I think this is the real question:

What is the reset mechanism for email and not for nextcloud?

A Nextcloud account needs one email.
If you forgot your Nextcloud password you can get an email.
But what happens if you also forget your email password?
That is the real question.

Professional email servers has got a self service (e.g. SMS or real second email) or a support.

For two emails:
Use email mailing lists with only two entries. :wink:
But nobody wants to get emails twice.

I presume you replied to me.

If true, I clearly stated:

… users’ mail and Nextcloud password is the same

Maybe I was not clear enough. It is not set the same manually, but it is the same, meaning both nextcloud and mail authenticates to LDAP (in one setup, PostgreSQL in another).

Professional email servers has got a self service (e.g. SMS or real second email) or a support.

Not so relevant, the same server hosts mail and nextcloud.
But you are getting there: that’s what I want. A professional-like setup, with self-hosted LDAP, mail, nextcloud (and some other stuff). And for that, I’d need a secondary mail address, not used for every notification, but only for password reset. I would add a secondary mail attribute to LDAP for that, that’s not the hard part. And I could install some LDAP web-client on server with password reset capabilities (using that attribute), but that interface would practically be a single purpose, as users can already change their passwords through nextcloud