Trying to install a new app gives me a "Host violates local access rules" error

Hi folks,

I have been trying to download and install various apps such as “Files download limit” app from the apps store, however each time I try I get an error message:

“An error occurred during the request. Unable to proceed.
Host violates local access rules”

Is there some other configuration option I need to adjust in NextCloud that I am not noticing that is required to allow downloading and enabling apps?

I appreciate any light someone can shine on this?

Hello community,
I just did a fresh install and facing the same issue.

Any hints to resolve this?

best regards,
tonkoe

I also have a fresh install and am facing this issue. Any help would be FANTASTIC lol

Adding 'allow_local_remote_servers' => true, to a line in the nextcloud config file worked for me!

I have just encountered this problem for the first time; the error shown in the frontend for me looks a bit different (“An error occurred during the request. Unable to proceed.Could not update app”), and only in the log file I find the error message described here (“Host violates local access rules”).

With the setting 'allow_local_remote_servers' => true added to the config, the app update indeed works, but this leaves a queasy feeling in my stomach and a few questions:

• Why do I need the setting? Looking at its description in nextcloud documentation, I see no immediate connection to the updates?

• What the setting does exactly is unclear to me from reading the documentation linked above: there are no “remote servers with local addresses” involved here as far as I can tell (and definitely no federated shares or webcal services).

• Is it a potential security risk to keep the setting always enabled? If not, why does it even exist, what is the “not allowed” state good for?

• Why do I only need the setting now, why was this never a problem before? Is this maybe something that was introduced with nextcloud 28.0.3/4?