Thumbnail for a video and Android app

Nextcloud version: 14.0.3

Hello,
Nextcloud 3.3.1 android app is creating 404 responses on my server

"GET /index.php/apps/files/api/v1/thumbnail/256/256/nameofthevideo.mp4 HTTP/1.1" 404 5 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Android) ownCloud-android/3.3.1"

Can i generate thumbnail for a video?

Is there a preview for this video on webUI?
Preview of videos must be enabled in config.php as far as I know.

No, there is no thumbnail in WebUI. Video app is disabled and OC\Preview\Movie is not set in 'enabledPreviewProviders' => array( due to performance reason.

I found a workaround for now, Nextcloud app can generate thumbnail for itself if video was downloaded on the device. I deleted video locally after, but thumbnail is still persist and app stopped asking for it from the server.

Well, this is then the explanation.
For remote thumbnails we need to rely on server.

1 Like

It is strange that OC\Preview\Movie is not set by default then. Is it possible to let app generate thumbnails for itself without fully downloading videos from the server if it can not find one on the server?

I read somewhere that this is disabled by default for security reasons, as with ffmpeg and videos you can more easier do bad stuff.

Is it possible to let app generate thumbnails for itself without fully downloading videos from the server if it can not find one on the server?

This is currently not planned, as with this every client would have to do it, instead of having the server done it 1x (imagine a video shared with a company with 5k users).