"This is the unsupported community build of Nextcloud." message for small install

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 27.1.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Linux/Shared Hosting
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1.23

The issue you are facing: After upgrading to 27.1.2, I’m faced with the following error under Security & setup warnings:

This is the unsupported community build of Nextcloud. Given the size of this instance, performance, reliability and scalability cannot be guaranteed. Push notifications are limited to avoid overloading our free service. Learn more about the benefits of Nextcloud Enterprise at Nextcloud Enterprise: Content collaboration software for enterprises.

I am running a very small instance of Nextcloud - I’m the only user and I only have ~4GB of data - so I’m not sure what’s going on here.
Can someone let me know if this is a mistake and what I can do about getting rid of this warning/error?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Yes

For what it’s worth, I’m also discovering this error in my Log, and it’s showing up almost every second :face_with_spiral_eyes::

{"reqId":"Fuccd6OeAuVp2AEeBJmK","level":3,"time":"2023-10-15T15:10:43+00:00","remoteAddr":"xx.xx.xx.125","user":"***","app":"PHP","method":"GET","url":"/ocs/v2.php/apps/notifications/api/v2/notifications","message":"foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given at /home/***/***/apps/workflowengine/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#75","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/117.0.0.0 Safari/537.36","version":"27.1.2.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}}

That warning is designed to only come up if your server has had > 1000 users log into it over its existence. It’s also not a new check - it’s been there for years. What version of NC did you upgrade from and how did you upgrade?

That is notable. Are you using any Flow/Workflow related bits? Also, can you provide your config report and apps list.

To get your config report, execute one of the following commands on the CLI:

sudo -u www-data php occ config:list system
php occ config:list system
./occ config:list system

Same for apps list:

sudo -u www-data php occ app:list
php occ app:list
./occ app:list

Thanks for the quick response and the help.

That warning is designed to only come up if your server has had > 1000 users log into it over its existence.

I have only ever had two users in the 7 years I’ve run the server and right now it’s just me, so I’m not sure what’s happening here…

What version of NC did you upgrade from and how did you upgrade?

I upgraded from 27.1.0 and used the built-in updater. I then tried manually ‘updating’ over the current install but it didn’t help.

Are you using any Flow/Workflow related bits?

I’m using Workflow external scripts. However, I tried uninstalling that and was still faced with the same issue.

Config report:

{
    "system": {
        "instanceid": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "passwordsalt": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "secret": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "trusted_domains": [
            "***"
        ],
        "datadirectory": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "overwrite.cli.url": "***",
        "dbtype": "mysql",
        "version": "27.1.2.1",
        "dbname": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "dbhost": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "dbtableprefix": "oc_",
        "dbuser": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "dbpassword": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "logtimezone": "UTC",
        "installed": true,
        "mail_from_address": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "mail_smtpmode": "sendmail",
        "mail_domain": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "loglevel": 2,
        "maintenance": false,
        "integrity.check.disabled": false,
        "updater.release.channel": "stable",
        "default_phone_region": "DE",
        "twofactor_enforced": "true",
        "twofactor_enforced_groups": [],
        "twofactor_enforced_excluded_groups": [],
        "theme": "",
        "app_install_overwrite": [
            "webhooks"
        ],
        "updater.secret": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "memcache.local": "\\OC\\Memcache\\Memcached",
        "memcache.distributed": "\\OC\\Memcache\\Memcached",
        "memcache.locking": "\\OC\\Memcache\\Memcached",
        "filelocking.enabled": "true"
    }
}

apps list:

Enabled:
  - activity: 2.19.0
  - circles: 27.0.1
  - cloud_federation_api: 1.10.0
  - comments: 1.17.0
  - contactsinteraction: 1.8.0
  - dashboard: 7.7.0
  - dav: 1.27.0
  - federatedfilesharing: 1.17.0
  - federation: 1.17.0
  - files: 1.22.0
  - files_external: 1.19.0
  - files_pdfviewer: 2.8.0
  - files_reminders: 1.0.0
  - files_rightclick: 1.6.0
  - files_sharing: 1.19.0
  - files_trashbin: 1.17.0
  - files_versions: 1.20.0
  - firstrunwizard: 2.16.0
  - logreader: 2.12.0
  - lookup_server_connector: 1.15.0
  - nextcloud_announcements: 1.16.0
  - notifications: 2.15.0
  - oauth2: 1.15.1
  - password_policy: 1.17.0
  - photos: 2.3.0
  - privacy: 1.11.0
  - provisioning_api: 1.17.0
  - recommendations: 1.6.0
  - related_resources: 1.2.0
  - serverinfo: 1.17.0
  - settings: 1.9.0
  - sharebymail: 1.17.0
  - support: 1.10.0
  - survey_client: 1.15.0
  - systemtags: 1.17.0
  - text: 3.8.0
  - theming: 2.2.0
  - twofactor_backupcodes: 1.16.0
  - twofactor_totp: 9.0.0
  - updatenotification: 1.17.0
  - user_status: 1.7.0
  - viewer: 2.1.0
  - weather_status: 1.7.0
  - workflow_script: 1.12.0
  - workflowengine: 2.9.0
Disabled:
  - admin_audit: 1.17.0
  - bruteforcesettings: 2.7.0 (installed 1.2.0)
  - encryption: 2.15.0
  - files_scripts: 3.0.0 (installed 3.0.0)
  - flow_notifications: 1.7.0 (installed 1.7.0)
  - suspicious_login: 5.0.0
  - user_ldap: 1.17.0
  - webhooks: 0.4.3 (installed 0.4.3)

FWIW, if I don’t use the built-in log viewer and instead just view the log file, the errors slow way down but still stack up:

{"reqId":"Fn6md1eVdOUNTzCQOA9Y","level":3,"time":"2023-10-15T17:13:54+00:00","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"PHP","method":"","url":"--","message":"foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given at /home/***/***/apps/workflowengine/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#75","userAgent":"--","version":"27.1.2.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}}
{"reqId":"BNqeUZR4eJU1s54sBboK","level":3,"time":"2023-10-15T17:13:58+00:00","remoteAddr":"xx.xx.xx.31","user":"****","app":"PHP","method":"GET","url":"/ocs/v2.php/apps/user_status/api/v1/user_status?format=json","message":"foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given at /home/***/***/apps/workflowengine/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#75","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh) mirall/3.10.0git (build 17671) (Nextcloud, osx-22.6.0 ClientArchitecture: arm64 OsArchitecture: arm64)","version":"27.1.2.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}}
{"reqId":"fwXIH8UrRklY772U54l9","level":3,"time":"2023-10-15T17:13:58+00:00","remoteAddr":"xx.xx.xx.31","user":"****","app":"PHP","method":"GET","url":"/ocs/v2.php/apps/notifications/api/v2/notifications?format=json","message":"foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given at /home/***/***/apps/workflowengine/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#75","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh) mirall/3.10.0git (build 17671) (Nextcloud, osx-22.6.0 ClientArchitecture: arm64 OsArchitecture: arm64)","version":"27.1.2.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}}
{"reqId":"Rxpl8Kn3cFXfy5PDZSeN","level":3,"time":"2023-10-15T17:13:58+00:00","remoteAddr":"xx.xx.xx.31","user":"****","app":"PHP","method":"PROPFIND","url":"/remote.php/dav/files/****/","message":"foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given at /home/***/***/apps/workflowengine/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#75","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh) mirall/3.10.0git (build 17671) (Nextcloud, osx-22.6.0 ClientArchitecture: arm64 OsArchitecture: arm64)","version":"27.1.2.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}}
{"reqId":"6dCSiJX9qQq9jJPBhVWN","level":3,"time":"2023-10-15T17:14:28+00:00","remoteAddr":"xx.xx.xx.31","user":"****","app":"PHP","method":"PROPFIND","url":"/remote.php/dav/files/****/","message":"foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given at /home/***/***/apps/workflowengine/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#75","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh) mirall/3.10.0git (build 17671) (Nextcloud, osx-22.6.0 ClientArchitecture: arm64 OsArchitecture: arm64)","version":"27.1.2.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}}
{"reqId":"nWSzhb8q750IgpbQFnXT","level":3,"time":"2023-10-15T17:14:35+00:00","remoteAddr":"xx.xx.xx.31","user":"****","app":"PHP","method":"GET","url":"/ocs/v2.php/apps/notifications/api/v2/notifications","message":"foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given at /home/***/***/apps/workflowengine/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#75","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/117.0.0.0 Safari/537.36","version":"27.1.2.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}}
{"reqId":"vTtaa5r7333TsSsUgdYB","level":3,"time":"2023-10-15T17:14:58+00:00","remoteAddr":"xx.xx.xx.31","user":"****","app":"PHP","method":"GET","url":"/ocs/v2.php/apps/user_status/api/v1/user_status?format=json","message":"foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given at /home/***/***/apps/workflowengine/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#75","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh) mirall/3.10.0git (build 17671) (Nextcloud, osx-22.6.0 ClientArchitecture: arm64 OsArchitecture: arm64)","version":"27.1.2.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}}
{"reqId":"Gj0R8l3nZcRhcnQbuNrQ","level":3,"time":"2023-10-15T17:14:58+00:00","remoteAddr":"xx.xx.xx.31","user":"****","app":"PHP","method":"GET","url":"/ocs/v2.php/apps/notifications/api/v2/notifications?format=json","message":"foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given at /home/***/***/apps/workflowengine/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#75","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh) mirall/3.10.0git (build 17671) (Nextcloud, osx-22.6.0 ClientArchitecture: arm64 OsArchitecture: arm64)","version":"27.1.2.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}}
{"reqId":"HXpT6TCrXOahnZTwuoW6","level":3,"time":"2023-10-15T17:14:58+00:00","remoteAddr":"xx.xx.xx.31","user":"****","app":"PHP","method":"PROPFIND","url":"/remote.php/dav/files/****/","message":"foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given at /home/***/***/apps/workflowengine/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#75","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh) mirall/3.10.0git (build 17671) (Nextcloud, osx-22.6.0 ClientArchitecture: arm64 OsArchitecture: arm64)","version":"27.1.2.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}}

Most of these are clearly being triggered by the Nextcloud client on my laptop.

Can you confirm you don’t still have some flows rules active? It seems to be bombing out on one of your rules based on a cursory look at the code.

I just noticed this. The flows are pulled from the cache just before. Most commonly these days people are using Redis here. Though using Memcached should be fine too, there was a weird Issue I worked recently that was traced back to using Memcached here.

Since a memcache is not technically required, can you try just removing this line? It may take a few moments to take effect (ideally you’d restart your Apache server but you may not have that option in a shared hosting environment).

1 Like

Actually remove all three lines.

This is only a temporary thing, to try to isolate your situation.

2 Likes

I can confirm, the code says, that the result of ‘push_fair_use’ is cached:

When I look with redis-cli into the cached keys, I get:

redis-cli -s /run/redis/redis-server.sock
redis /run/redis/redis-server.sock> KEYS "*push_fair_use*"
1) "bcb33dfdc4385fe8a8427d227bd8e3db/notificationspush_fair_use"
redis /run/redis/redis-server.sock> get "bcb33dfdc4385fe8a8427d227bd8e3db/notificationspush_fair_use"
"\"yes\""

So I would give redis a try, since it definitively works. I have no clue about memcached in this context.

ernolf

Thanks @jtr and @ernolf

Disabling memcached has indeed fixed both issues. I had switched to memcached recently because I was having (non-NC-related) issues with redis. I’ll avoid memcached and figure out the redis situation with my host.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear it resolved things! Also explains why there aren’t more reports about it: memcached is older and seems to just be used far less often these days.

That said, officially it’s supposed to still work, so feel free to report it as a bug at Issues · nextcloud/server · GitHub

I suspect it’s the same underlying cause as this issue so feel free to mention it as well:

But it remains to be seen whether it’s in NC or a particular combo of: php-memcached/memcached/libmemcached. That particular party was using a fairly old mixture of things so it’s challenging to say with certainty.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion! This helped resolve my current issue: I had to upgrade a server from nextcloud version 17 to 27 (which was not that easy to pull off). When everything worked again, I was quite happy but I couldn’t figure out why this warning was displayed on an installation with just 25 users.

1 Like

I am getting the same. “This is the unsupported community build of Nextcloud. Given the size of this instance,…” and there is only one user will be a maximum of 5 (my family). This was after an upgrade from 2?.0.? to 27.1.4 using apache2 + php8.1+memcached.

Maybe there is a way of setting the number of users or the maximum number?
Or that I don’t want push notifications anyway? I hate them.