This directory is unavailable, please check the logs or contact the administrator after switching to php_pfm/fastcgi

Nextcloud 17.0.2
Ubuntu 18.04 / Apache 2.4 / PHP 7.2

As you may know, apache2 on Ubuntu comes with a Server MPM set to prefork which is definitely not advised on a production server, for better performances.
Following the steps mentioned here, I’ve been able to switch from prefork to event on my production server.
That works, apachectl -V shows Server MPM set to event.

But since then, the Files app won’t work correctly.
I can acces my root directory thru Files, but when I try to open a subfolder, after a while I get the error message:
This directory is unavailable, please check the logs or contact the administrator

I did an occ files:scan --all in case, for nothing better.

The others NC apps are working fine, calendar, spreed, passwords, tasks, etc. Only Files is not working as it did just before.

Here’s the sort of error message I find in the nextcloud.log file:
{"reqId":"vfo1Bd2nYP9ErJbj8lYQ","level":3,"time":"2020-01-11T12:15:03+00:00","remoteAddr":"IP@ removed","user":"Manuel","app":"remote","method":"PROPFIND","url":"\/remote.php\/dav\/files\/Manuel\/Combustible-Num%C3%A9rique\/Fonctionnement","message":{"Exception":"Exception","Message":"The requested uri(\/remote.php\/dav\/files\/Manuel\/Combustible-Num%C3%A9rique\/Fonctionnement) cannot be processed by the script '\/remote.php\/dav\/files\/Manuel\/Combustible-Num\u00e9rique\/Fonctionnement')","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/AppFramework\/Http\/Request.php","line":806,"function":"getRawPathInfo","class":"OC\\AppFramework\\Http\\Request","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/remote.php","line":125,"function":"getPathInfo","class":"OC\\AppFramework\\Http\\Request","type":"->","args":[]}],"File":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/AppFramework\/Http\/Request.php","Line":780,"CustomMessage":"--"},"userAgent":"Mozilla\/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:72.0) Gecko\/20100101 Firefox\/72.0","version":"17.0.2.1"}

And when I switch back to MPM Server to prefork, Files works back again as it used to.

So, that looks like this is tightly related to the operations I did to switch to the event Server MPM… But til now, I’ve not been able to find out why.

Any clue?
Thanks for reading.

Hi!

I’m impressed, am I the only one using NC on Ubuntu 18 and trying to deal with this PHP performance issue?

:thinking:

Hi,

It can definitely happen that single user have specific configuration issues, no-one else ran into. Or the other affected people didn’t find your thread to answer :wink:
Did you look through the issues on Github if somebody reported that behavior there?

Anyway, maybe we can still figure this out. Can you also check the other logs and provide them here?

• php-fpm.log
  • webserver error.log
  • system log entries which could be related (journalctl -xe) like startup warnings/ errors for services (php-fpm, redis, webserver)
1 Like

Hi @Schmu, thanks for replying.

I’ll try to give more details when I try it again.

Meanwhile I might ask it differently : any feedback on NC implementation on Ubuntu 18.04 with Server MPM set to something different than prefork?
No trouble with Files?

1 Like