The update process from 24.0.5 to 24.0.6 took like good 40 minutes

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 24.0.5->24.0.6
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 11
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx/1.22.0
PHP version (eg, 7.4): PHP 8.0.24 (cli) (built: Sep 29 2022 22:12:57) ( NTS ) Copyright (c) The PHP Group Zend Engine v4.0.24, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies with Zend OPcache v8.0.24, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

The issue you are facing:

I was trying to upgrade the version above to the other higher minor version and it failed with a 504 NGINX error, my timeouts for NGINX were set for 10 mins, hence it waited that out…
Then I tried using the guide for upgrading via occ and it succeeded, but only in good 40 minutes…
How do I make it run quick? All I have changed is that I mounted the data folder via sshfs

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Mount data folder in nginx html folder via sshfs
  2. See nothing suspicious in the logs via the whole process
  3. Try to upgrade via the web updater, fail with a 504 from NGINX, then try the occ upgrade path according to the official documentation and succeed, but notice that it runs for like 40 mins.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

nothing out of the ordinary

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):
adding only relevant info btw

'datadirectory' => '/usr/share/nginx/html/data',

df -h output:
user@mountedstorage.com:/ 1011G 17G 994G 2% /usr/share/nginx/html/data

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

754#754: *40529 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream

^ this makes the 504 error, everything else seems to be fine

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

no errors

There appears to be no resource scarcity (at least in the matter of CPU and RAM).

Could it be that your storage is just really slow? SFTP is not known for having high transfer speeds.

My data folder has like 20GB of data, so that can’t quite be, even if it somewhy somehow touched that folder?..

You’re saying it can’t be slow because… it’s too big? I don’t follow.

I’m saying it can’t be that the 20GB data folder gets touched, since that folder should be keep untouched as far as I know. And even if it did get touched, it would not take 40+mins in my humble opinion…