The new standard in on-premises team collaboration: Nextcloud Hub

Crazy expensive? It equates to 1.80 usd per connection per month. It means that you can have more than 50 users. But say it would be 50 simultaneous users. A regular small business Ms office license costs more than that per month and that is for one user. So no it is not crazy expensive when you do the math.

1 Like

@SmallOne Would you mind to also use the other thread :wink: If you respond here they will probably answer and continue with a discussion about Microsofts license modell now :confused:

Moving over :slight_smile: I saw your reply after mine :slight_smile:

Yeah but when you have a bill of 0$ using LibreOffice… it’s kind of crazy to put 1099$ just for a one year subscription to an helpdesk. It’s 4,36$ per user per months if you are 21 users… so more than Microsoft.
And yes it’s 50 concurrent connections and yes it depends on the health of your company.
But all my client will laugh at me when i will tell them you have to pay for this : 50 connections + 1 year support for 1 server…

That are the costs of outsourcing servers and service. You’re speaking about 4,36 USD/month that are 3,93 EUR/month or 0,13 EUR/day (!!!). Believe me this is really cheap for a business service. It is all a question of how you’re selling it to your clients and what value it brings to the client :wink:

1 Like

There are plenty of open issues, but you can’t count like this, even if a bug is attributed doesn’t mean it is solved soon. There are also duplicates, no real bugs (configuration/other problem). I am speaking of bugs that have been reproduced by several people over a longer time. These bugs are sometimes hard to reproduce (it has just been observed by many people independently) and debugging will probably be time-consuming.

Hello,
Is it still true that OnlyOffice cannot natively work with .odt Open Document Format, also not in Nextcloud Hub?
I read that to work with .odt files, Onlyoffice converts the file and saves it in the same location as .docx and then you can edit it.

Correct?

Thanks!

1 Like

I cannot answer your question, but i would add another question:
Is it possible to install both Collabra and OnlyOffice and configure Nextcloud in a way, that Microsoft Office documents are opened with OnlyOffice and LibreOffice documents are opened with Collabra?

1 Like

Yes, OnlyOffice works with docx etc. internally. So odt gets converted.

On the OnlyOffice connector you can disable it working with odt etc. files, so yes you can probably use both. But I have not tried myself.

1 Like

You can have both installed and just select either Collabora or Onlyoffice to open it.

1 Like

http://www.planet-libre.org/?post_id=23083
French discription and screenshots of both working together.

2 Likes

I just tested Onlyoffice in a Seafile online demo, and it opened and saved odt files just fine, did not create a separate docx file.

Can anyone confirm this for Nextcloud?

It seems that you can open odt-files in OnlyOffice in reading mode without editing.
When I choose to convert the odt-file in Onlyoffice nothing happens. The document does not opens. So there seem to be a bug.

Did a simple ODT test. Need to check a lot more to determined capabilities.

I opened a ODT document in OnlyOffice, modified and saved as ODT, DOCX and PDF.

Open new documents in LibreOffice 6.2.8.2 (I don’t use MS Office anymore, though my customers do).

ODT was fine, OnlyOffice didn’t permanently change the fonts from the original even though they weren’t in OnlyOffice.

DOCX was a mangled mess, layout and fonts.

Opened PDF in Acrobat Reader and it was fine.

1 Like

In community version it works fine with opening, editing and saving in ODT, though by default the newly created files are saved in docx.

Hi Just a simple BIG THANK… Viva O…Cloud…Oupsssy NEXTCLOUD IS GOD LIKE. No more OnlyO*** docker :wink: and isolation process concern/nightmare …:wink:

thx again

2 Likes

It’s not as easy as you think.
This App won’t have the same performances as your Docker container…

May I call bull**** on this? You define the ‘open source way’ now? If a company develops a software and then open sources it (under an OSI license, which is the only relevant definition here) and finds that if they put in a limit of 20 users in that software it helps them sell more which in turn helps them hire people and improve the software, then good for them.

It says more about the users, who clearly didn’t want to pay until there was a bit of a push, then that it says anything about the company.

Yes we don’t do that at Nextcloud, but a partner which does (and both Collabora and ONLYOFFICE do this) has every right. And to people who complain it is not ‘the open source way’ I suggest to get over it. It is BUSINESS USERS that force them to do this, by trying to avoid having to pay but suddenly having budget if there’s a 20 user limit, even though they could just recompile it. I mean, are you KIDDING ME? The fact that you think that THAT is apparently compatible with the ‘open source way’ - that’s exactly why I and others say that many users seem to feel entitled to the free work of other people.

The open source way = make software available under a GPL license. Making packages is NICE. Making Docker containers is EVEN NICER. But it is not mandatory to being open source.

Crazy scenario:

If we would disable the updater server and ONLY do updates for customers, never do releases anymore (just build it yourself!) and that would result in so much money we could hire 10x more people to work on Nextcloud, which in turn means a much better product and many more people who no longer have to put their data with Microsoft, wouldn’t that be better? After all, our goal is to help as many people protect their privacy.

It would make it harder for somebody who is paid to deploy Nextcloud. Sorry for that person, but if their boss can pay them, they can pay other people - like those developing that software. It is a choice not to want to do that. And it has nothing to do with ‘the open source way’ if you make the life of such people harder.

We don’t do that, we don’t want to, because we’re way too nice. And yes, that possibly makes Nextcloud less good than it could have been otherwise.

To be clear: companies are not people and have no right to privacy, so no, we don’t care about companies other than as a way to earn money to achieve our goal of giving PEOPLE privacy.

1 Like