The most elegant solution?

Ive been struggling with RPi4 and NC 20 for a while now and almost have it sorted but there is a consistent and difficult issue with any of the Office apps and Arm 64 along with a few other issues.

I havent given up totally but plan to wait until Nextcloudpi release a NC20 build. SO…In the meantime and because I have a real use case planned that I need to plan and deploy, what is the most elegant solution that will host NextcloudHub 20, including office integration . Also that has low power consumption comparable with Pi. I am looking at Inel NUC, is this viable and a complete solution.

1 Like

I’m running NC on Qnap NAS running docker containers. NUC would definitely work. Depending on your goals the one or another solution is better suited. My personal preference is to store important data on minimum RAID-1 (mirroring) to avoid data loss due to hardware issue.

If you use software RAID, you can do this independently from your hardware. Intel NUC, similar devices with intel or AMD processor will probably do a good job.

1 Like

I personally disagree with that statement as RAID is not obviously a mean of data preservation as say backups/snapshots/etc.

Instead I would consider RAID just as a means to keeps the LEDs flashing. In other words as a fault tolerant measure thus having nothing to do with “saving your data”.

1 Like

@FriendlyGamer: it is not true RAID is useless. There are different technologies to protect your data. It is important to understand what any specific technology CAN do what it can’t.

RAID protects you seamless against disk outage - doesn’t matter which RAID level and how it is implemented (hardware/software) - not more and not less. There are number of other problems it doesn’t address: users or software bugs which cause data loss, crypt trojans… in other words RAID is not backup… Nextcloud with trashbin and file versions has little protection against this problems… but this is definitely not a replacement for backup.

I absolutely agree with your statement nothing can replace backups… there is no room for discussion and no way to overcome this fact. RAID is not a replacement for backup it’s more the the snake oil which keeps your system running if a disk dies… If you can take some hours or days to restore your system after disk outage - you need nothing more than good backup strategy… just replace faulty hardware, restore you data and you are back in business. otherwise you want to protect your system additionally with some hardware redundancy (RAID). here you must know that home/SOHO level systems only protect you against disk outages - there is no protection against faults in disk controller, cpu, memory. RAID only address the most common issue: faulty harddisk… other issues are less common and maybe less destructive to data… but if you hit the the golden problem and your cpu or memory dies - the recovery could range from easy replacing the processor/memory to the same hard way of rebuilding the system and restoring the data.

My personal recommendation is to use disk mirroring (any kind of hardware or software) or higher RAID levels, depending on your preference. in my eyes RAID-1 is the simplest and RAID-5 is most economic technology to add basic protection against HW faults - but this just my personal view and doesn’t fit any specific setup.