Testing php8 in NC 21

Pivoting in response to installing a NC21 beta package:

Would the NC 21 beta co-exist with mainline NC21 when released (not optimal), or

Would the NC21 mainline package (when released) update the NC21 beta install, so I only have one NC install? (preferred; as opposed to having NC21 and NC21 beta both installed)

NC 21 betas will update to NC 21 RC (RC1 has been released) and finally NC 21

No

Would the NC21 mainline package (when released) update the NC21 beta install, so I only have one NC install? (preferred; as opposed to having NC21 and NC21 beta both installed)

Yes

Of course you could install NC21 as a seperate instance on the same server, but if you perform an upgrade, either in the web interface or via command line, the existing files are overwritten. So there is always only one version installed on your server. In order to upgrade to the beta version of NC21 you have to switch the Release Channel" to “Beta” in the web interface. And as @buzz stated, you can later upgrade to the RC and once it is officially releasd to the stable version. Make sure you switch the “Release Channel” back to “Stable” once the stable Version of NC 21 is released and installed.

Dang. It’s always something. I went to install Nextcloud 21 beta, but there is no package for it in the Arch linux repos.

Since I can not get NC20 to load, I think I’m dead in the water, unless there is a relatively simple build process for the beta.

UPDATE:

I downloaded the RC1 tarball. Could this be as simple as copying the files into my file system?

I’m planning to update my existing install with RC1.

If doing this is as simple as copying the tarball folder structure to my current install, which files in my NC20 install must I not overwrite?

Also, it looks like config file format has changed, e.g.,

$CONFIG = array (

appears to be replaced by

$CONFIG = [

Will the RC accept the NC20 config file format (backwards compatible), or I do need to clean up my old config file for with with the RC?

Thanks,

sb

Maybe this will help…

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/21/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html

I got it working just letting it install and updating the config file with my backed up NC20 config file.