Disable video call - justa allow chat feature

Good Day,

Question only for Talk.

It is possible for the Talk that I only enable is chat features only
and disabled the call and video chat…

Thank you

i guess that’s the default of talk when you enable it without having your own co/turn-server installed.

just chat.

oh… I will check thank you

default installation still have button activated for call…

perhaps yes. but it won’t work as desired…

1 Like

Right. Which is why the button should not be visible to prevent users from wasting time and calling for help.

Is there any way to do so?

Why?
If all parties are on the same network, everything works fine…

If all parties are on the same network, everything works fine…

And if not it just causes confusion.
I just installed Nextcloud for school use. So essentially nobody is on the same network, everyone is at home. Which is why it would make sense to simply disable it.

If it is not possible, you might want to create a feature request on github. In case it is just a button, you can fiddle through the app code and try to find which part to comment out so the button does not show any more.

In case it is just a button, you can fiddle through the app code and try to find which part to comment out so the button does not show any more.

I might do that for the web part, I just need to find the time to dig into the code.
What’s troubling me is the apps as that is what most of our students use. I haven’t done much app development and that is quite a while ago. Plus there would also be the iOS app which I could not work on anyway.

For the mobile clients, it is not that easy. I’d try the feature request, in case your school/university has a subscription, you might try the official support.

With skyrocketing interests is video-conferencing types of apps, it’s clear by now that Nextcloud Talk is a white elephant - impressively looking but mostly useless…

It works just fine when none of the parties are behind NAT and/or firewall.
If you install a coturn server (very easy if you have a spare Ubuntu VM around),
it will just as easily handle people behind NAT and firewall.
https://nextcloud-talk.readthedocs.io/en/latest/TURN/

Its - Talk’s - biggest problem is scaling. It can’t do it reliably above 3-4.
To solve this issue you need to buy the expensive commercial add-on…

If you read Frank’s posts in the jitsi/BBB discussions, this “state” will not change.
Talk is going to stay the way it is… No buttons will be removed because someone finds them useless…

Alternatives might appear in the form off apps… This for example

Do not use Talk for video call.
Use perhaps Jitsi: https://github.com/pojntfx/nextcloud-talk-bot-framework

I think you can not disable video calls in talk.
Perhaps in further releases? I think it is only a boolean value.

Sorry. But this is not my opinion and not what I said. Talk works fine behind NAT with a proper TURN/STUN setup and it works fine with thousands of people with the right backend.

Not sure I understand where I misrepresented your position.
RE: STUN/TURN - that is exactly what I said in the second paragraph…
RE: Backend - that is mentioned in the third paragraph…

After having used/read about jitsi and BBB (and having never used Talk), people have high expectations when they try Talk. And that ends in disappointment - scaling, NAT traversal, etc.

My previous post was: live with it, it won’t change.
If you want jitsi/BBB level performance, wait for those being offered as Nextcloud apps…
And that is exactly how I read your post (that I quoted)…