Custom STUN server configured: yes

In case the web version of Nextcloud Talk is involved:
Operating system (eg, Windows/Ubuntu/…): macOS
Browser name and version (eg, Chrome v101): Brave & Firefox

In case mobile Nextcloud Talk apps are involved:
Talk iOS version (eg, 14.0.2): replace me
Talk Android version (eg, 14.0.2): replace me

The issue you are facing:
For one of the users of our instance, the Talk Icon/button is missing but she has an account on another instance located on the same server and for this account the Talk icon is there. I gave her access to another account of our instance : the Talk icon is also missing.
Another user told me that he does not have the Talk icon.

For both users, as admin I took their identity : on my computer, the Talk icon appears.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): It is a recently created instance, the number of users is reduced and they just start to use it.

Steps to replicate it:
At this stage, it looks like difficult for me to replicate the problem.

I’m just the admin of the instance, I don’t have access to the logs of the server.

I apologise in advance if I didn’t correctly fill this first support request.

Regards,

Jean

Maybe just a caching problem? Can the affected users try to use a incognito session ?

The cache of the browser has been completely erased without any change.

I suppose that “private window” is what you mean by incognito session : no change.

Two other strange behaviours : 1) the red point signalling notification(s) does not appear (but I could check that there are notifications when, as admin, I took the user identity); 2) the Deck icon is also missing while it should be there.

A third user inform me to be in the same situation.

I created a new user for somebody else (working on another computer), Talk and Deck icons are present.

Hm. What happens if those user access talk directly via link?

How could they do that ? (sorry, I’m a newborn in NextCloud)

If you open talk you should the a URL like
https://yourdomain.com/apps/spreed. Let the problematic users try to access the same link.

[I’m waiting for feedback about the direct connection with a link]

Concerning the strange behaviour with the notifications, I have to provide more information.

Initially the user was seeing the red point.

When he clicked on the icon, he has been requested that the browser accepts the notifications.

He did accept and the red point disappeared.

With a link like …/apps/spreed the user arrives to the main page /apps/file/ and the Talk and Deck buttons are missing.

With a public link to a conversation (without password) like …/call/azerty… the user arrives to the User/password request page (this is not the case for another user not having the problem of missing Talk and Deck button).

So looks like they don’t have permission?! Did you restrict talk to a certain group in the admin settings?

No, all the users are in the same group.

I gave to one of the users having problem the password of a test account : I have Talk and Deck but when the user connect to that account, he doesn’t have.

Okay, I am slowly running out of ideas :wink:
What about the URL they try to access nextcloud? Is it the same in both cases? Or is one like „www.cloud.domain.com“ and the other „cloud.domain.com“? I know a few users who always prepend „www.“.

If that fails, I can only suggest to look for differences, like using the same browser and stuff. Also look kn the Webserver logs and nextcloud logs if there’s anything of interest.

Ah and those are all „real“ users, right? Or are these guest users with the guests app?

Each account belongs to a real person and is and will be used by a unique person.

But I’m not sure to understand correctly what you mean by ‘guest users’ and ‘guests app’.

Then it won’t apply to you :slight_smile:
There’s a app called „guests“ which led you, well, add guests with a account. For guests you need to explicitly allow apps they’re allowed to use, that’s why I’m asking. But this shouldn’t be the case here, because you said the same account that works for you, doesn’t work for others. So there must be something in their side (url, browser console, logs, etc)

The direct link to Talk or a conversation was explicitly https:// ourcloud.domain.be /apps/spreed (or /call/…) and I’m convinced that they didn’t change the link.

(Sorry I don’t know how avoid that a URL be processed by the editor, so I added spaces.)

I’ll try to explore that (:frowning: ) and be back if I find something.

Thank your your assistance

Jean

Yes, but that would explain why they ended up in the login form, if they previously logged in on another url?
But yea, just guessing here, sorry…

I’ll be checking that with them to be sure

One of the other users told me something that could help to solve the problem.

He sees the the Talk and Deck icons, but if its VPN is not set they disappear !

:smiley: The problem is solved !

Updating the app, the problem disappeared.

It is just by chance : looking to the available apps few days ago, I saw that there was a newer version available. Shortly after updating, one of the impacted users informed me, through Talk, that it was OK for him. Now I have the confirmation that all the previously impacted users can use Talk.

Best regards and happy end of the year,

Jean