Tag usage across devices

Support intro

I have just started using NextCloud, with a Docker-based deployment on Raspberry Pi for single use.

Mostly, I need to have a sync & share service to store working files. I extensively tag using macOS Finder mechanism and would like to replicate this. This should also work across various devices and the web.

I have only started looking at the core Files service, not Calendars or others. I don’t know if or how I might use others in future, but if the ability or limitations of tag searching applies across these.

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 23.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): “Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)”
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nextcloud:23.0-apache
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.0.15

The issue you are facing:

The macOS Finder app does not support NextCloud tags, to view, create or manage.
iOS apps do not have any tags support (search, view, add, edit, etc)

Do I need to install a NextCloud “app”, like “Full Text Search”? Or is this still a roadmap item? Or am I just using this new platform wrong?!

Currently, I only seem able to do this as I expected / intended while using the web browser. This is not my typical workflow or use case.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. N/A

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____: