Sync problems with very big CAD files

As already explained in another post I support a small architecture shop. They have only two users in three locations (they travel a lot). All office and CAD files are synchronized via Nextcloud.

Nextcloud server version (eg, 12.0.2): 17.0.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): all clients on Windows 10
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): ?
PHP version (eg, 7.1): ?

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N, the problem comes up at least once per month

Steps to replicate it: not clear, here are some observations

1. renaming a big file (file size > 20 MB, some CAD files grow up to 100MB)
  2. moving big directories (contents size about 1 GB)

It happens from time to time that the upload “hangs”, i.e. the file upload is started and then the green bar in the Nexcloud client stops at some random point (e.g. 43 MB uploaded of 151 MB) and nothing changes anymore. The is no visible problem shown in the logs.

It then helps to move the offending files to another location (I use the desktop) wait for full synchronisation and then re-add the files one by one in their respective project folders.

As a second problem, some of these files seem to get corrupted by the sync mechanism. We already had to send some of the CAD files to the Graphisoft support. They could fix the files eventually but the told me not to use any cloud synchronisation system (owncloud, nextcloud, dropbox, onedrive) as sthe simultaneous access by the CAD program and sync program might corrupt the files.

Does anybody know about the problem and do you have some hints how to handle it.

best regards

1 Like

I have just found the following entry in the ArchiCAD knowledge base:

Sync utilities and issues with Save operation in ARCHICAD

It essentially states that the Save operation of ArchiCAD involves several steps creating several temporary files and that the sync clients must not interfere with this Save steps.

They propose to use a scheduling feature and not start syncing as soon as a file changes. Does Nextcloud provide such a feature?

kind regards

1 Like