Switch from Nextcloudpi to nextcloud

@nachoparker

Many thanks for creating and maintaining nextcloudpi. I am thinking to switch to nextcloud though. I am using nextcloud 20.0.4 (ncp 1.46.9) right now as explained in another thread. How should I try to switch to nextcloud?
Is the file structure similiar, so I can start a docker container of nextcloud with the tag 20, then 21, then 22, then 23 to be up to date?

I started the nextcloudpi container with:
sudo docker run -d -p 4443:4443 -p 443:443 -p 80:80 -v ncdata:/data -v /media/simon/:/extHDD/ --name nextcloudpi ownyourbits/nextcloudpi 192.168.103.44

now I guess for nextcloud it could be:

docker run -d -p 8080:80 -v ncdata:/var/www/html -v /media/simon/:/extHDD/ nextcloud:20.0.14

For anyone to know, these are the directories of ncp:

~$ sudo ls /var/lib/docker/volumes/ncdata/_data
bin  database  etc  ncp  ncp-config_20210603.tar  nextcloud  nextcloud-sqlbkp_20220411.bak
~$ sudo ls /var/lib/docker/volumes/ncdata/_data/nextcloud
3rdparty  config       core      index.html  occ           ocs-provider  resources   themes
apps      console.php  cron.php  index.php   ocm-provider  public.php    robots.txt  updater
AUTHORS   COPYING      data      lib         ocs           remote.php    status.php  version.php
~$ sudo ls /var/lib/docker/volumes/ncdata/_data/database
aria_log.00000001  debian-10.3.flag  ibdata1      ibtmp1             mysql               nextcloud
aria_log_control   ib_buffer_pool    ib_logfile0  multi-master.info  mysql_upgrade_info  performance_schema
~$ sudo ls /var/lib/docker/volumes/ncdata/_data/bin
ncc                   ncp-check-updates  ncp-docker-hook                ncp-restore       ncp-update
ncp                   ncp-check-version  ncp-notify-unattended-upgrade  nc-previews       ncp-update-nc
ncp-backup            ncp-config         ncp-notify-update              ncp-scan          nextcloud-domain.sh
ncp-backup-auto       ncp-diag           ncp-provisioning.sh            ncp-suggestions   noip2
ncp-check-nc-version  ncp-dist-upgrade   ncp-report                     ncp-test-updates

I do not know how it looks like in a nc folder. I only heard everything is within

/var/www/html

So it might be possible to switch simply with:
sudo docker run -d -p 4443:4443 -p 443:443 -p 80:80 -v ncdata:_data/nextcloud/:/data -v /media/simon/:/extHDD/ --name nextcloudpi ownyourbits/nextcloudpi 192.168.103.44

And then start the upgrade process to 21, then 22, then 23. I am trying to find a solution to do this though.

Did you migrate to plain nextcloud? I am thinking of moving from nextcloudpi to nextcloud AIO since NCP seems to be practically unmaintained.

Oh… I’m surprised you get the impression that it’s unmaintained.

Looking at the changelog there’s always been a few months with many changes and then others with little:
https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloudpi/blob/master/changelog.md

I’m running an installation of Nextcloudpi and happy with it thus far. I considered moving to AIO when i moved the installation of a Raspi 4 to a miniPC. But in the end AIO would have required access to the machine from the internet to setup lets encrypt ssl certificates. So i decided to instead run the Nextcloudpi docker image.

Did you check the progress on minor releases and hence current docker images?

NCP is at 24.0.5 whereas Nextcloud is at 24.0.8 or 25.0.2, respectively.

One commit in December. Beginning of October the one before that.

FYI: NCP version 1.50.5 is currently being tested by NCP-community (since last Friday) and will support Nextcloud 24.0.8.
There have been some iterations this weekend, currently we are at release-candidate rc7

More to come soon.

1 Like