Organizational structure of this forum, and News announcements

Unfortunately, there is no site feedback category, so Iā€™ll put my suggestions here.

1. I think itā€™s exaggerated to have users watch #news and #releases by default, especially since discourse has this great feature of ā€œwatching first postā€. That way you at least donā€™t get notified about thr replies. But for the #news category I I think even that is too much. I think tracking would be adequate (considering that there are quite a lot of topics in that category) otherwise you risk turning people off.
  2. There is still no description of the news categoryā€¦
  3. Iā€™m not sure itā€™s necessary to have a subcategory for every app but I suppose youā€™ve thought it through so I wonā€™t argue. But I definitely would suggest to hide all subcategories from the hamburger menu, for obvious reasons.
2 Likes

There is the meta category for the forum itself ā€¦

I am completely with you. We have about 50 posts a month for all the apps, and it splits in over 60 sub-categories! Tagging would probably be more reasonable (wasnā€™t used in the beginning).

2 Likes

Haha! Which proves the importance of reducing the number of categories :wink:

1 Like

Can you sort them alphabetically please? @tflidd

2 Likes

@jospoortvliet can you help us here?

You mean in the hamburger menu? I donā€™t think that would help here. Iā€™d remove them from the hamburger menu and turn on the setting Show subcategory list above topics in this category in the :bento: Features & apps category instead.

I mean this menu:

and this one:

Okay, thanks for explaining. I was only referring to the first one. I donā€™t think sorting alphabetically will help there.

Also, if you meant that only the subcategories should be sorted alphabetically while maintain sort-by-popularity, there is currently no setting for this. You can either sort by popularity or manually (alphabetical sort order is not available, so it would have to be done manually).

As for the second topic list you mention, I donā€™t really see what the benefit of alphabetical sorting would be, given that there is a search option. In any case, itā€™s quite a different suggestion than the one in the OP so Iā€™d suggest you open a new topic for that, just to not discuss too many things in one topic.

@tflidd To help move this forward, here is the code you would need to add to your CSS:

.hamburger-panel ul.category-links li.subcategory {
	display: none;
}

I did already, about 1 year ago or so, but without success.

I have no idea what a hamburger menu should be. Can you explain it please?
Thank you!

The menu that opens when you press the icon with the three horizontal lines is called that because the icon looks a bit like a :hamburger:.

Well, that kinda confirms my impression that the owners of this forum are not putting much effort into maintaining it. Makes me reconsider whether I actually want to switch to Nextcloud. Or what do you say about support and how nextcloud feature requests are handled?

Edit: Well, actually, maybe that reaction was a bit too spontaneous. Perhaps I should ask: was your proposal considered? Because content-wise I actually agree that the current setting is better. So what did you mean by ā€œwithout successā€? Nobody reacted or they decided against it?

Dec. 13, 2016:

1 Like

This is done so the apps can link to a specific discussion place on apps.nextcloud.com - it might make sense to consolidate them all without the sub categories, I guess. If you think it makes senseā€¦ What would be quite hard (I think) is to have separate categories for SOME apps and not for others and have it linked directly from apps.nextcloud.comā€¦

In either case, it would require some programming on the app store. I can only ask there, not do anything - but the code is open: GitHub - nextcloud/appstore: App Store for Nextcloud and the link to the forums must be there somewhere :wink:

1 Like

I just donā€™t know how to do most of the things you guys ask for :wink:

But I can add this to our CSS:

.hamburger-panel ul.category-links li.subcategory {
	display: none;
}

In general, if you can tell me what discourse setting to enable/disable etc or CSS to add, Iā€™m happy to do itā€¦ I donā€™t have time to look on the forums super often but I try to keep an eye on this once every other week or so.

3 Likes

Oh, hey, I never realized that was there! Thanks!

I have to admit to being dismayed by the number of emails I have gotten involving people chatting about the latest release. Itā€™s great people are talking about it, but if I want to read about it, Iā€™ll come here; I donā€™t want my email inundatedā€¦ So Iā€™m trying to figure out how to turn that off. (Itā€™s not clear what being ā€œinvited to a topic is,ā€ you know?)

It WOULD be great if we could opt in to 1st messages about new releases - and forum users could probably stand to automatically get emails from a ā€œsecurity-announceā€ group. But a whole discussion is a bit much.

Peace,

ā€“Peter

The settings you are looking for are at Nextcloud community - Keep your data safe! (also accessible via your user avatar on the top right corner).

@jospoortvliet, that is what I meant when I said:

The site settings you want to change are these:

1. Remove all categories from default categories watching
  2. Add :gift: Releases to default categories watching first post
  3. Add :newspaper: News to default categories tracking

Depending on what the purpose is with the :newspaper: News category and whoā€™s allowed to create topics in it, you could also put it into default categories watching first post, but as long as anyone can create topics in :newspaper: News, I donā€™t think itā€™s a good idea to mail all those posts out to everybody by default.

hereā€™s an idea that just plopped into my mindā€¦

what if #news-category was only for announcing real news and allowing no further discussion about it? so if ppl want to talk about it they could open a new thread in a different category?

that would at least avoid dozens of emails in everyones notificationboxesā€¦

It would be a pity do disallow replies to topics in the news category (after all, news is what we most like to talk about). Luckily, this restriction is not necessary to achieve what you want. If People are watching first post in :newspaper: News, they will only be notified about the news but not about the ensuing discussion. No matter how many replies there are.

awww. well. NOW i got you. and i just changed my settings to exactly that. thanks!

1 Like

Two separate categories, #news and #news-announce, the 2nd of which doesnā€™t allow discussion?

I just checked, I think someone else already did this (?) but I changed it a little - adding ā€˜releasesā€™ to first post and ā€˜newsā€™ to categories tracking. Nice tipā€¦

The idea of creating a separate news category is a bit - meh, I like discussion, and our blog should of course allow ppl to reply and discuss :wink: