Sudden "Wrong Password" for all users

I’ve got NC 14 running with Apache 2, MariaDb, Redis, php 7.2 on an Ubuntu 16.04 server. Been running fine for a few weeks.

Got to looking into PAM setup for users to be added. I’d been working on installing this package and it’s dependencies when I hit a snag and found relevant forum help. Decided to look into installing the verified NC app listed in that thread, instead of the python-pam package. Easy enough until I tried to login with my admin and add the app via the simple UI; I was unable to login and received several “wrong password.” Just the day before I’d logged in without issue. After several careful attempts, I started to wonder about my other users. I attempted to login to a couple dummy accounts I’d setup for testing and continued getting “wrong password” messages for these as well. Been confused since.

My first thought was the Db was gone or corrupted somehow. Logged into my root MariaDb and everything seemed ok. Had tables and data in tables. Even for oc_users. Wondered if I could simply REPLACE my admin via some mysql magic, but didn’t actually try to.

I know in my first choice of package to install I added several things, none of which seems like an obvious conflict. I also did system update/upgrades which I thought to question. Browsed my history.log to see if anything in updates could have been a problem. Nothing suspicious to my eyes.

Double checked config.php, .htaccess; restarted apache service. Still all logins come back “wrong password.” At a loss now. I hate to think I’ll need a fresh install. Any advice?

edit: Have array of trusted domains in config.php. On password fail two of them return user to the URL. One of them returns both username and the path to /apps/files, which is my default app. Would that mean the login’s post request is successful as the URL reflects the default landing page?

Did you ever figure this out? I have a similar issue.

1 Like

Hi together.

I have this problem, too. Do you have solved it in the meantime?

Tromm :slight_smile:

Hi All,
I have the same problem, NC was runing for 8 month since installation withiout any issue now all users have the same issue “Wrong password.” and same message which is not disappear with time “We have detected multiple invalid login attempts from your IP. Therefore your next login is throttled up to 30 seconds.” Please help!

Hi i have same problem, any solution?

Nextcloud 19 here - having a similar issue. I’m concerned about logging out of my main account but, I’ve got a dummy account that I just created to check and test permissions and… I cannot login to it to check permissions. It says “Wrong Username or Password”, and that is simply false. I know I’m typing in the correct username and the correct password, and Nextcloud is not working.

This isn’t production software if this is an error that can crop up, guys.

@Fortunate-Baggage for me what solved it was making sure I was using PHP7.4. Perhaps 7.3 is also fine, but at least 7.2 did not work. I had accidentally enabled both Apache modules, and so Apache was accidentally using mod_php7.2. So what solved it for me was:

a2dismod php7.2
a2enmod php7.4

(Of course, you need to have php7.4 and all required php modules installed)

1 Like

I also had the problem. Setting PHP to 7.4 worked for me, it’s fine again.