Stuck in Maintenance Mode after web update

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): ? (web hoster)
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): ? (web hoster)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1

The issue you are facing:
I started an update from NCv25.0.2 to NCv25.0.3 vi the web updater.
My NC instance is stuck in Maintenance mode.
Unfortunately I only have FTP access to NC, wehre I tried already the following:

  1. .user.ini
    memory_limit=256M
    max_execution_time=300
  2. config.php
    ‘maintenance’ => false,

But no success. I am stuck in maintenance mode.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? Y:
In the past I this happened to me as well, but resetting the maintenance flag in config.php (several times) helped me out of this situation.

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'passwordsalt' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'secret' => 'rxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'xxxxxxx.net',
    1 => 'www.xxxxxxx.net',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/www/htdocs/xxxxxxxxx.net/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '25.0.2.3',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'http://xxxxx.net',
  'dbname' => 'dxxxxxxxxx',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'xxxxxxxx',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'xxxxxxxxx',
  'dbpassword' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'installed' => true,
  'tempdirectory' => '/www/htdocs/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/tmp/',
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'sendmail',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'pipe',
  'mail_from_address' => 'xxxxxxx',
  'mail_domain' => 'xxxxxxx',
  'default_phone_region' => 'DE',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 0,
  'app_install_overwrite' => 
  array (
    0 => 'calendar',
  ),
  'updater.secret' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
);

Update to 25.0.3

An error occurred.
Detailed logs

Preparing update

Set log level to debug

Turned on maintenance mode

Repair step: Repair MySQL collation

Repair info: All tables already have the correct collation → nothing to do

Repair step: Repair SQLite autoincrement

Repair step: Copy data from accounts table when migrating from ownCloud

Repair step: Drop account terms table when migrating from ownCloud

Updating database schema

Updated database

An error occurred.

There is a chance that there is more information in the logs. Updating database stuff is probably th e most critical but this seems to have worked.

I do have exatly the same problem:
It ends with:
"Updated database

An error occurred."

error log is: debug.

—> Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted!!

Thats it. 512M are not enough. I spend 768M, and it started again!