Stop sync on mobile device (android)

I am curious. In the mobile nextcloud app I can set a folder/file to sync. This will download the file to my mobile.

But there is no way to UNsync so it seems… how would I do that?

Anyone?

1 Like

Downloaded files are automaitcally kept in sync with version 3.5.0.
The only way to stop it is to locally delete the file(s)

But why? I mean i dont want to delete the files from my server, but i dont want them synced with my phone all the time and it is not obvious that you delete the files from the phone or directly from the server. Especially since i need the files on the server but not on my mobilephone

Hi,

was looking the same.

Here what was meant by “locally delete the files”

sync files are downloaded into your phone, you need to find where, for me :
android/media/com.nextcloud.client/nextcloud// …

If you delete from there, it’s only deleted from your phone, the app will show the files aren’t sync anymore but still on your server.

1 Like

@pascuol @Bournout you can simply long click on the files (within the Nextcloud app) and hit delete from the menu. You’ll then be asked if you want to delete localy, on the server or both. So just choose to delete only the local copy and you are done.

Is there any way to stop the sync to my phone altogether instead of just having to delete the files?

I have my phone syncing photos to my server (intended) to year/month organised folders.

Last week, for some reason the app decided to begin syncing those photos back to my phone again every time one is uploaded.

I have never selected the option to sync that folder to my phone, I have tried deleting the folder locally both through a file manager and the app but as soon as I take a new photo it syncs back to my phone.

I even tried deleting the entire photos/2022/10 folder from my nextcloud server but as soon as I take a new photo, it gets recreated (understandable) and syncs back to my phone again.

1 Like

I’d like to know how to do this as well. The whole point, to me, is to be able to access the files on cloud so that I do not have to store them locally. I know I can delete the local storage manually, but I shouldn’t have to do that. At the moment, the situation is in fact even worse than just “having files both on device and on cloud”: if I upload and decide to keep the source file (since I just want to make the file available on cloud while keeping the original on my device), I end up with -two- copies of the file on my phone: the original and a copy on the app local storage. I definitely do not want two copies of uploaded/synced files on my device.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there a way to disable the app from syncing to app local storage?

1 Like

I agree.
Not having the choice of disabling the Auto Download of newly uploaded files (especially cam videos) vill put heavy traffic on my mobile internet connection AND bring up cost on my monthly gigabyte cap/allowance on my mobile account.

I would rather auto upload to my Nextcloud server ONLY AND keep the original files in my phone in their original folder, ie DCIM/Camera.

Looks like this is fixed in the latest version of the Android app (3.22.3), at least my initial experiences are now what I’d expect them to be (file kept on source folder, uploaded to NextCloud server, not synced to app local storage on device). Thanks!

1 Like

This method was weird the first time I read it a few months back and the only thing I remembered about it now that I was trying again to prevent syncing down to my phone was that it was a pain to find out how to stop the syncing.

I find it “quite” (to stay polite, but it’s really frustrating, really) unintuitive to hit “delete” on a file I don’t want to delete. The thing I want to delete, here, is the connection between the nextcloud and my phone’s storage.

I think a more sensical way to prevent a syncing connection would be to put an option in the three-dots-menu. If it must be, only provide this option in the “on my phone” section of the app. At least, the unsync option would be discoverable by the user without having to go through all the settings screens and resorting to the forums for this :wink:

Would you make a PR or open a ticket in the issue tracker withan improvement suggestion in that sense for me? I’m on my phone and can’t do it right now :smiley: