Spreed.ME Snap for any Nextcloud installation

Any chance of listing the Nginx equivalent of that Apache reverse proxy change? Would this likely work on Debian 8 as on Ubuntu?

@Bugsbane here’s the nginx-equivalent: nextcloud-spreedme/doc/example-config-nginx.md at master · strukturag/nextcloud-spreedme · GitHub

Would this likely work on Debian 8 as on Ubuntu?

Well, you can’t use snaps on Debian. Snaps only work on Ubuntu Snappy :wink:
We also provide a Docker image for Spreed WebRTC, and I’m sure there are Docker images for Nextcloud as well (need to modify the Dockerfile to also install the ‘spreedme’ Nextcloud app).

1 Like

Thanks for the link :slight_smile:

That’s actually not true any more.

# On Sid:
sudo apt install snapd
1 Like

Good to know, thanks! Will definitely play around with it on the weekend. :slight_smile:

That’s good because I haven’t tried on all platforms :slight_smile:

http://snapcraft.io/docs/core/install

I am running debian jessie and trying to install snapd is not working for me:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install snapd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package snapd
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

By the way. I don’t find the path to the Nextcloud vhost configuration file where I can add the mentioned code.

Kind regards
//neph

I just checked and it hasn’t been released on jessie yet.

It really depends on how you’ve installed Nextcloud.

It is about NextcloudBox and nextcloud-snap on Ubuntu snappy core. Does this help to assist me with this?

Unfortunately, at this time, you can’t install Spreed.ME when using the snap which comes with the Box. You need to create your own snap or wait for the changes which allow users to make modifications to their configs (2017)

Oh. Is there an estimation when it will be possible? And where can I find the relevant information about?

You can track this issue:

but it will take a few months.

Careful with the snap package system and X11 ! It can give you a false sens of security (sandbox) :no_good:

if you’re using X11 (ie, Ubuntu desktop) any Snap package you install is completely capable of copying all your private data to wherever it wants with very little difficulty.

The problem here is the X11 windowing system. X has no real concept of different levels of application trust. Any application can register to receive keystrokes from any other application. Any application can inject fake key events into the input stream. An application that is otherwise confined by strong security policies can simply type into another window. An application that has no access to any of your private data can wait until your session is idle, open an unconfined terminal and then use curl to send your data to a remote site. As long as Ubuntu desktop still uses X11, the Snap format provides you with very little meaningful security. Mir and Wayland both fix this, which is why Wayland is a prerequisite for the sandboxed xdg-app design.

See https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/42320.html

That would be a somewhat valid point if the snap was using x11… :wink:

Hi, I compiled a nextcloud-snap package with support for Spreed.ME. It’s just the current stable version (10.0.2snap1) plus these changes. If you want to use Spreed.ME on the Nextcloud Box now, you can find the snap package here. Cheers

1 Like

Hi, is there any update on this issue? Can the spreed.me snap be used with the rp3 image ( https://download.nextcloud.com/server/images/ > ubuntu-core-16-armhf-rpi2-rpi3-installer-20170217.img ) on a rasperry/nextcloud box?

It’s still the same deal, you can use the image, but you need to delete the snap an install a custom one which supports spreed.
Having said that, spreed is now integrated into Nextcloud, including screensharing, so you don’t really need to use the separate app.

Why a “custom snap”. Aren’t they identical? Can’t i build up Spreed from open sources?

No. The official snap doesn’t come with external Spreed support

Yes, but that won’t give you access to external Spreed from within the vanilla Nextcloud snap.
I would really recommend you use the Spreed app from the Nextcloud app store which works really well.

1 Like

Hello,
This discussion is almost impossible to understand. The instructions are impossible to follow for the mere mortals (beginners). Could you, please, give an example answer every time you reply?

I have installed Ubuntu 18.10 server with some “nextcloud” option. It turned out to be a snap version 13 of nextcloud. Nextcloud itself works right out of the box. But when i install spreed application within nextcloud web application, it does not work out of the box (as does not work smbclient). It says that it needs something like webrtc. I have installed spreed-webrtc-snap, but it did not help. Spreed.ME still does not work. The instruction for it is not possible to understand. No container names, no paths, no filenames.

Here is can demostrate how exactly this article is impossible to use for the non-developers:

What is vhost? A file? Where it is located? What is its filename? On the host OS, or in some snap? what snap?
Where is reverse proxy? is it another file? In what snap (or on the host?)? Where is it located (filename)?
What is “Apache” title? A file? What is its name? Where it is located? Where to put this text block, is there a recommended position in the file?

The explicit commands like in the " Configure the [Spreed.ME]" section would be much appreciated.
Thank you

can you elaborate whether this applies to a snap installation of Nextcloud on any Linux host or just the snap installation on a device able for purchase called “Nextcloud Box”

EDIT: the summary of the preedme snap at least indicates it was made for the nextcloud snap

$: snap info spreedme
Spreed.ME audio/video calls and conferences feature for the Nextcloud Snap

Also, do I understand correctly that you have to run Nextcloud AND the spreedme snap simultaneously. I am very new here but on a NC 13 (from the snap) there is an app named talk which seems to be a chat only by itself.

I am not really clear whether talk is related to spreedme, or a standalone thing. Or is it maybe just the core of spreedme and you still have to connect to the external spreedme snap as described here to get all functionality (voice, video, screensharing) out of it?

1 Like