Spreed.me + NC 9.0.52 Says I haven't configured... but I have

I installed it via the ppa because I’m lazy. Trying it standalone without integration it appears on a http connection it won’t request camera/mic permissions from Chrome. Over https through my apache proxy it errors trying to load unsafe scripts (I haven’t set up ssl on the back-end as yet).

Not wildly impressed so far. I guess I’ll need to generate systemd init scripts to get it to start automatically too.

Jitsi basically took care of everything for me and has been stable over several test conferences.
I won’t be a tool though, I’ll spend the time to set it up properly and test it over an ssl connection - I can’t see myself integrating it with NC for the moment though.

just as an update - I’m still working on a how-to for Spreed.ME but it is harder than I thought… It will be at least a week longer as next week is our hackweek and I’ll be in Stuttgart…

1 Like

So here’s a video showing spreed.ME integration. The page I scroll through is already in github.

https://cloud.nextcloud.com/s/8VDDRAvlYBZCYUt

What do you think?

And here is the full tutorial, feedback super welcome!
https://nextcloud.com/webrtc/

2 Likes

Thanks Jos. This looks super clear and well written. What I think I really need to know is how to configure nginx… :wink:

1 Like

What is the problem with Nginx configuration? We are in the process of updating the documentation to cover topics like this better. Please check https://github.com/strukturag/nextcloud-spreedme/blob/update-apache-nginx-docs/doc/example-config-nginx.md - feedback appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

added it to the document :wink:

Maybe I just missed it before, but when I originally looked at the page linked, there didn’t seem to be any info on configuring Nginx. I see that there is now a link to how to configure Nginx, however it’s not really clear just being one small link at the bottom of a whole section on how to configure Apache, with no title.

What would make it clearer would be changing the configuration title from “Configuring Apache” to “Configuring Apache/Nginx” and then including the Nginx configuration info in the article, just as it’s already done with Apache. Even just changing the title would be a big improvement, so people at least know to look for a link to Nginx. I just skipped over reading the Configuring Apache section as I’m not running Apache.

Tnx for the tutorial! I just tried configuring spreed.me on a debian 8 server. Installed golang and followed the steps to autogen configure and then make. After make i get the next error:

GOPATH="/var/www/spreed-webrtc-master/vendor:/var/www/spreed-webrtc-master" /usr/bin/go build  -o bin/spreed-webrtc-server -ldflags '' app/spreed-webrtc-server
# github.com/gorilla/websocket
vendor/src/github.com/gorilla/websocket/client.go:361: unknown tls.Config field 'GetCertificate' in struct literal
Makefile:616: recipe for target 'binary' failed
make: *** [binary] Error 2

Any idea how to fix this? i cant seen to find a solution.

@SyS0p3r this is likely related to https://github.com/strukturag/spreed-webrtc/issues/278
Which version of Go have you installed? You can check with go version

Your Go version is too old. Spreed WebRTC 0.28 requires at least Go 1.4 to build. As far as i can see Debian 8 only gives Go 1.3. If you cannot get current Go on your platform you can always run latest Spreed WebRTC via our Docker image from Docker - as an alternative if you need Go 1.3 compatibility use Spreed WebRTC 0.26 which is the last to support Go 1.3.

ok thanks! yeah i see now it’s go 1.3, i just finished configuring on a centos 6.7 server wich also gave errors while running make. i just installed go from source (1.6) and now at least its running. But now when i start spreed.me i get a error “An error occured RETRY” i cant find the log file in /var/log/

Check you browser developer console. It most likely fails to connect to the websocket end point.

ah i see. WebSocket connection to wss://url/webrtc/ws failed: Error during Websocket handshake: Unexpected response code: 400 Tnx for the directions i’ll try to fix it and let you know when it works.

Ok. i went back to my debian installation since my centos 6.7 server at work gets blocked by a couple of firewalls i don’t control so i dont know when and if anything gets blocked. Got the go 1.6 installed from source from the golang website. i now got a working installation. i can open spreed.me in nextcloud, see my own account at the top and i can create rooms, temp passwords and invite others. chat works, but when i try to use a webcam i only see my own and after a few seconds (about 20) the cam connection gets closed and i return to the chatroom. i tested it by calling from my pc to my notebook and vise versa. the stream on the source machine opens but on the machine i’m calling i only see a spreed.me image.

Well Spreed tries to establish a WebRTC peer to peer connection. If that actually can succeed depends on the network conditions. In the worst case where everything is firewalled, you need a external TURN server which all peers can directly reach. See Use TURN server · spreedbox/spreedbox Wiki · GitHub for instructions.

To check further you can check your browsers WebRTC status page (chrome://webrtc-internals/ for Chromium based browsers or about:webrtc for Firefox) to check the connection details.

i do see an error in the error.log file “[Tue Aug 16 10:54:34.287191 2016] [proxy:error] [pid 9709] AH00940: WS: disabled connection for (127.0.0.1)” is this something i should address?

Yes. I assume this is the Apache error.log? Check your Apache configuration and make sure it can proxy WebSocket connections to Spreed WebRTC. See nextcloud-spreedme/doc/example-config-apache.md at master · strukturag/nextcloud-spreedme · GitHub for Apache instructions.

i think i found the proxy:error In the documentation on the netcloud.com/webrtc page it says you have to edit the basePath to /webrtc/ and in the apache conf its /webrtc so i only had to remove the last / maybe good to change it in the instruction for the next who wants to give it a go. the error is now gone but i still dont have 2 cam views. i’m working on a vps (kvm) directly on the internet. i’ll keep investigating. would love it to work :slight_smile: