Speed and stability of syncing files

I need to setup next cloud for my small business with 25 users.

The 25 users will use this for file sharing with appox 5GB uploads and downloads approximately everyday on average. They would also have a 20-30 GB of older files as a offsite backup, which will not be updated frequently.

I am planning to use a Digital Ocean 1 vCPU and 1 GB Ram (ubuntu 18.01 LTS) for this, could anyone let me know if the server can manage the load with the given specifications, all users will be using NC desktop app on windows/mac, they would hardly touch the web interface. We also have a cctv footage which we need to backup from our in-house USB External HDD everyday at midnight.

I am also considering Wasabi to store data, since i cctv footage backup comes to 10-15 GB everyday, but not decided yet on to use local SSD on VM or wasabi storage.

The main consideration is speed and stability of syncing files. Can you anyone guide me on this?

You have 1GB RAM on a raspberry, that is nice to have a first look and perhaps sync smaller things. For 25 users, if you manage to make it work, it probably will be painfully slow. It depends a bit on the use case, I think 4 GB is minimum, since RAM is not that expensive, I’d go at least with 8 GB. SSD is less critical especially if you have enough RAM.

Unless it is just for a test phase, I’d go with a small dedicated server. RAM and HDD are no problem, you don’t share resources and the 30-50 $/€ per month should be affordable for a business. Or make it in house if you have a decent internet connection.

The 25 users will use this for file sharing with appox 5GB uploads and downloads approximately everyday on average. They would also have a 20-30 GB of older files as a offsite backup, which will not be updated frequently.

That’s not a lot of data, therefore nothing to worry about on first sight. Just keep in mind that:

• Nextcloud doesn’t work great with a lot of very small files
  • Nextcloud doesn’t have delta sync. If you change part of a big file, it needs to be reuploaded completely (and not only the changed part)

Besides that it’s really great and has a ton of features (but you probably know that already, Nextcloud isn’t just “file sync”, it’s so much more)

I am planning to use a Digital Ocean 1 vCPU and 1 GB Ram (ubuntu 18.01 LTS) for this, could anyone let me know if the server can manage the load with the given specifications, all users will be using NC desktop app on windows/mac, they would hardly touch the web interface.

Personally, I recommend at least 4GB RAM for 1-10 users. My private Nextcloud currently has access to 12GB of RAM, and is using 410MB right now (for a single user). My Nextcloud for my business currently uses 124MB of RAM (3 users right now, but with less files). On the other hand, the Nextcloud instance I’ve setup for a friend’s business is currently using 217MB (with 8 users).

Also, if you want to use something like Collabora, 4GB is the bare minimum. 8GB are great for it.

We also have a cctv footage which we need to backup from our in-house USB External HDD everyday at midnight.

Absolutely no problem.

The main consideration is speed and stability of syncing files. Can you anyone guide me on this?

Define “speed” and “stability”. With rather large data (files > 1MB) it works great, if you have a lot of very small files (a few bytes), it’s not so great (then I’d recommend something like Syncthing, but it only syncs files/folder, nothing more).

Stability … well. Older versions had their issues, but the recent versions (Nextcloud 11 and above) work really great in this regard. Even upgrades are usually done within a few seconds and without issues. Way better than whatever ownCloud does.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask :slight_smile:

Edit: Oh, and definitely use a database like PostgreSQL (my favourite) or MariaDB (my second favourite). Don’t use MySQL (it really has issues…) and never use SQLite in combination with Nextcloud. You don’t want that, trust me.