[solved] Upgrade from 16.0.4 to 16.0.5 fails config.php.working is not writable

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 16.0.4
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): debian 9
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4.25
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.2

The issue you are facing:

/web/data/updater-oc7yh2x6li4l/backups/nextcloud-16.0.4.1/config/config.php.working is not writable

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. update via web interface

the file doesn’t exist and is therefore not writable.

1 Like

still getting this despite checking all permissions and deleting the existing 16.0.4.1 backup directory. full error is:

/config/config.php.working to data/updater-oc7yh2x6li4l/backups/nextcloud-16.0.4.1/config/config.php.working

Source /config/config.php.working is not readable

Destination /data/updater-oc7yh2x6li4l/backups/nextcloud-16.0.4.1/config/config.php.working is not writable

can anyone help?

Hi,

Can you please provide the output of
ls -al

for both folders

• nextcloud/config/
  • data/updater-oc7yh2x6li4l/backups/nextcloud-16.0.4.1/config/

Looks like this is the root cause.

2 Likes

thank you for pointing me in that direction!
i had checked permissions but not ownership. somehow config.php.working in the source directory had been changed to root ownership (when i say somehow…it was probably me forgetting to sudo to the web user).
i feel rather foolish now but upgrade is complete.
thanks for your input. i appreciate it.

1 Like

Naah - everything is fine :slight_smile: That happens to all of us! :wink:

It’s good that the upgrade was successful now!

1 Like

And I also have version 16.0.5 since the last update.

When will we get version 17 ?

Thank you. :slight_smile:

@Tas-sos NC releases are shipped in waves. It could takes weeks until the update is advertised to you in your web GUI. People who want to get the update instantly switch to the beta channel, run the update to the latest stable NC version and switch the update channel back to “stable”. (You just need to take a closer look that the right version is shown (17.0) after you switched to beta).

Ok, knowing a few things about releases that’s what I assumed. It will come to us a little later.
And I have no problem with that because I understand that it takes a ripening time for the transition to work properly. I just wasn’t well informed and in the announcements of the new version, I didn’t see it listed somewhere.

Nice trick, but I don’t think there is a reason for this, nor would you suggest.
After all, we will get the latest version, just when the time comes.

Developers know and I fully trust them! :sunglasses:

Thanks for the update, your suggestion alternative and your time.