Sodium module in Nextcloud Hub 3 (25.0.0)

Nextcloud version: 25.0.0
Operating system and version: Linux Mint 21 Vanessa
Apache version: Apache/2.4.52 (Ubuntu)
PHP version: 8.1.6

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N) : N

have sodium installed but nexcloud gives me the following warning:
“This instance is missing some recommended PHP modules. To improve performance and increase compatibility, it is strongly recommended to install them.
sodium”

DETAILS:
$ php -i | grep -i sodium
sodium
sodium support => enabled
sodium compiled version => 2.0.23
libsodium headers version => 1.0.18
libsodium library version => 1.0.18

Care to share your logs.

Hi @vgcouso,
You are missing the required support template. Please fill this form out and edit into your post.

This will give us the technical info and logs needed to help you! Thanks.

Nextcloud version: 25.0.0
Operating system and version: Linux Mint 21 Vanessa
Apache version: Apache/2.4.52 (Ubuntu)
PHP version: 8.1.6

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N) : N

have sodium installed but nexcloud gives me the following warning:
“This instance is missing some recommended PHP modules. To improve performance and increase compatibility, it is strongly recommended to install them.
sodium”

DETAILS:
$ php -i | grep -i sodium
sodium
sodium support => enabled
sodium compiled version => 2.0.23
libsodium headers version => 1.0.18
libsodium library version => 1.0.18

It seems that you’re not aware of the fact that two different PHP flavors are used by Nextcloud, the PHP WEB and the PHP CLI (command line interface version), which both have separate configuraion pathes. If you’re using “php -i” to check the availability of a module it only proves the availability for the CLI version but not for the WEB version. Make sure that the correct module configuration for the PHP WEB component too, by using for e.g. the phpinfo command.

output with phpinfo:

Hello,

Does anyone knows any solution for this warning?

I understand that argon2 is no longer supported in PHP and sodium needs that library to work.

What can be done to fix this warning?

Regards

See here: Nextcloud asking for `sodium` although being installed · Issue #28398 · nextcloud/server · GitHub

According to the above post on GitHub, PHP has to be compiled with Argon2 support in order for it to work. So my question would be, which OS are you using and from where did you get your PHP packages? I use the PHP packages from the Sury repos on Ubuntu 20.04, and do not get a warning message regarding Sodium.

1 Like