Snappy Nextcloud, and memcache

so I installed nextcloud with snapd [sudo snap install nextcloud] after creating the admin account the administration panel said I should enable memcache.
as a feature of snappy is that it is separated from the rest of the system. I’m not sure weather a locally installed module for that or a module included in the snap would work.

I have already tried the lines
[‘memcache.local’ => ‘\OC\Memcache\APCu’,] and
[‘memcache.local’ => ‘\OC\Memcache\APC’,] in the file
[/var/snap/nextcloud/current/nextcloud/config/config.php]

as neither of these worked… I would like direction
also the snap installation is SUPER SUPER easy so that is cool :slight_smile:

@oparoz Do you happen to know more about how to get this running? :slight_smile:

well from what I know of how snappy works it doesn’t see the rest of the system
I did in the meantime try to install php-apc with apt (I use ubuntu)
and the line that was just apc, and no go, so I’m thinking somehow the component needs to be in the snap, I think it would make sense for it to be by default in the snap on setup.

the documentation says it could be ignored, the memcache
I’m also thinking about how https would work with this arrangement. as I need that before I would use the snap version for the actual server.

That’s correct, the developer of the Snap has to provide all the components Nextcloud needs.
One advantage of the approach is that everything is pre-configured and will work out of the box.

Things which you can expect in the future:

• PHP-FPM
  • Memcaching
  • TLS
  • HTTP/2
  • MariaDB

which increases security and performance of the Snap. I’ve tested all of these new features on a Pi 2, apart from the switch to MariaDB and it works great, so I expect a decent laptop or desktop to do even better.

Note that both PHP FPM and Redis (for both local and file locking memcache) are now implemented in the snap. Next on the list is HTTPS.

1 Like