SMB External Storage stops working ..SOLVED

I’m not sure this is necessarily a Nextcloud problem, but here’s a little background first.

I run a 12 TB Freenas NAS. My Nextcloud uses the External Storage app to access two SMB directories on the NAS. These SMB shares worked well until a Freenas update. On Nextcloud I now get two red squares instead of the usual green dots and the following error message in the Nextcloud log.

Other computers on the network can still see my newly updated freenas box, so I know the shares are still working, but now Nextcloud cant.

Here the error message in the Nextcloud log

======================================

Error while getting file info: {“Exception”:“Icewind\SMB\Exception\ConnectionException”,“Message”:“Connection not valid”,“Code”:0,“Trace”:"#0 /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/files_external/3rdparty/icewind/smb/src/Share.php(373): Icewind\SMB\Connection->read()\n#1 /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/files_external/3rdparty/icewind/smb/src/Share.php(142): Icewind\SMB\Share->execute(‘allinfo “”’)\n#2 /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Lib/Storage/SMB.php(141): Icewind\SMB\Share->stat(’/’)\n#3 /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Lib/Storage/SMB.php(241): OCA\Files_External\Lib\Storage\SMB->getFileInfo(’/’)\n#4 /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Common.php(449): OCA\Files_External\Lib\Storage\SMB->stat(’’)\n#5 /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Lib/Storage/SMB.php(555): OC\Files\Storage\Common->test()\n#6 /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/config.php(234): OCA\Files_External\Lib\Storage\SMB->test(false, false)\n#7 /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Controller/StoragesController.php(256): OC_Mount_Config::getBackendStatus(’\\OCA\\Files_Exte…’, Array, false, false)\n#8 /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Controller/UserGlobalStoragesController.php(121): OCA\Files_External\Controller\StoragesController->updateStorageStatus(Object(OCA\Files_External\Lib\StorageConfig), false)\n#9 [internal function]: OCA\Files_External\Controller\UserGlobalStoragesController->show(12, false)\n#10 /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php(161): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#11 /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php(91): OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->executeController(Object(OCA\Files_External\Controller\UserGlobalStoragesController), ‘show’)\n#12 /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php(115): OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(OCA\Files_External\Controller\UserGlobalStoragesController), ‘show’)\n#13 /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Routing/RouteActionHandler.php(47): OC\AppFramework\App::main(‘OCA\\Files_Exter…’, ‘show’, Object(OC\AppFramework\DependencyInjection\DIContainer), Array)\n#14 [internal function]: OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler->__invoke(Array)\n#15 /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php(297): call_user_func(Object(OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler), Array)\n#16 /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/base.php(999): OC\Route\Router->match(’/apps/files_ext…’)\n#17 /var/www/html/nextcloud/index.php(42): OC::handleRequest()\n#18 {main}",“File”:"/var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/files_external/3rdparty/icewind/smb/src/Connection.php",“Line”:63}

=====================================

Nextcloud setup as follows

Nextcloud v 13.0.6
Version: 7.0.32
Database Type: mysql Version: 10.0.36
Ubuntu Server 16.04.5 LTS

Has anyone any ideas what’s causing this?

Thanks

Nick

Hi parcelpacker,

maybe your SMB versions mismatch. Can you check if the FreeNAS update disables SMB1/CIFS support?

You can also try to force SMB2 on your Linux system by adding following value in [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf:

client max protocol = SMB2

You can also give SMB3 a try.

Regards
Timm

Timm

Perfect. Forcing SMB2 using that entry in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file , has solved the problem.

Thanks for your assistance.

Nick

@parcelpacker I too faced an issue but after digging out I found that there is some issues with samba version. So I update my samba from 4.4.4 to 4.8.3 and it worked!