Slow upload speed on Raspberry Pi 4

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20.0.6
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 10
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.38
PHP version (eg, 7.4): PHP 7.4.14

The issue you are facing:
I’m running the official Nextcloud Docker image on my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB with an external 250GB Crucial MX500 SSD.

But the upload speed is quite low, even in my local lan.
It’s mostly sitting between 10-20MB/s.

IPerf shows a constant 940Mbit/s between the clients.
There’s no IO delay when uploading the file.

But I noticed, that Nextcloud is only using one CPU core, so that’s probably the bottleneck.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):

Steps to replicate it:

1. Login to nextcloud
  2. Upload a large dummy file

DOnt run docker run it on an normal webserver etc

I switched to a native installation but still the same issue

First of all I must say that 20MB/s isnt’ all that bad for a Rasberry Pi out of the box. And you have to know, that you will never get full line speed over a HTTPS/WebDAV connection with any device. For comparison. In my VM with 2 cores from a E3-1240v5 and 8GB RAM I achieve between 30 and 40 MB/s. Both cores are about 60% busy during the upload. I guess with PHP-FPM and the appropriate tweaks, maybe 20-30 MB/s are realistic on ta RasPi 4, maybe more… but you have to test a lot and tune your web server and PHP accordingly if you wanna get the most out of it.

My suggestion is to try… How to install NextCloudPi | NextCloudPi Documentation. These Imagaes are allready optimized to run on a Raspberry Pi and the dev takes a lot of effort to provide the users with a system that is easy to install and maintain and that comes with reasonable default settings out of the box.

It’s performing pretty similar on my Synology DS220+

Im curious what’s exactly bottlenecking here