Slow upload speed / connect directly via Lan?

Hello Community,

So I got an NC installation up and running, yay :wink:

System:
8 Core xeon soc
16 GB RAM
2x Raid 1 HDD 1TB 7200 RPM

Installation:
Lateste Freenas version
Latest NC version as a plug in running in jail
Maria db
Php 7 (I guess)

Problem:
So I am experiencing really slow upload speeds from my local desktop in my local network which is standing basically right next to the server rack.
Everything is just connected with Cat5e but that’s not the bottleneck.
Uploading like 80 GB of data already takes over 3 days now and is far from finished.

While it would be great to fix this… I am only rarely uploading larger files. And if I do it’s from a device that’s physically in the same room as my server.
Upload speeds in general are slow but suitable for my needs.

So I basically need a solution to:

1. Fix the slow upload speed issue
    Or
  2. Find a convenient way to transfer large folders from local devices to the server.

Any of these would do the trick, while 1. is preferred of course.
For solution 2. I thought of connecting local devices directly to the server over LAN but actually I have never done this or worked with a NAS or anything like that.
So advice on how that could work out would be awesome :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot and have a great day :slight_smile:

Are you using nginx and http2? Other users have reported problems with http2 speeds. Use Redis cache. Small files will be slow :(.

Also try another WebDAV client. It will be faster!

Congrats on your setup!

Slow webdav doesn’t sound like a new thing to me. I also experience Dav a bit in the slow spectre, even though I have a fairly decent Gigabit link locally with cables.

What if you configure your server to scan for file system changes - and that you place files directly in to the directory manually using a SMB mount? I am not sure whether this is recommended or not, so take it with a pinch of salt. I do this, and it works really well.

If you want to give it a go, you can go to your configuration file and add this:

'filesystem_check_changes' => 1,

What it does can be read on the documentation, but in short form this will make nextcloud scan for file system changes when you browse it. SMB is faster than webdav, but I recommend only this solution locally and not to open up for remote SMB connections.
You can also (from the host itself) place the files in your data folder where you wish. Depending on the amount of files and size, the scan may take a while.

Also, if anyone can correct me about this method/workaround, please do. I am as I said, unsure about the downsides and negative effects this can have.

1 Like