Show folders before files?

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 28.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Docker

The issue you are facing:

I’d like the WebUI to show folders before files.

Can this be done?

Hmm, I would be interested to know how you managed to get them to show up differently, because afaik “Folders before Files” is the only way to sort files and folders in Nextcloud. :wink:

Could it be that the files in question are marked as favourites? If so, they will indeed appear at the top. This behaviour can be turned off in the “Files settings” at the bottom left of the Files app:

Hi

Well, no, they’re not just favourites. Those as well, but that makes sense, due to the setting you pointed me at (thanks for that!).

Even “worse”, my “home directory” (“/”):

It’s really all over the place. In some folders, it’s okay. In others not.

Ah, then they are probably sorted by “Size” or date (“Modified”) rather than by “Name”, because in the first two cases it does indeed not distinguish between files and folders.

yes, I usually sort by date. for me, that makes most sense — at least most of the time.

and, uhm, well — why should that actually have an influence, whether something is sorted by date, size, or name? In all cases, folders should (or should not) be sorted before files.

But, yes, you’re right, when I sort by name, folders come first — which I find rather confusing.
I guess, that’s worth a bug report, isn’t it?

Or DOES it make sense, that folders are before files, ONLY when sorted by name?

Would nextcloud/server be the correct place to file bugs regarding the Web UI?

I don’t know why they decided to do it this way, and yes, I certainly wouldn’t mind having a few more sorting options in the Files app. However, it’s not that important to me as I rarely use Nextcloud’s browser apps.

Yep, not sure if this is a bug or intentional though. But feel free to open a feature request with your suggestions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I filed a bug: “[Bug]: Sorting of files and folders inconsistent in Web UI #43083”.

IMO, it’s a bug, as the behaviour is inconsistent. Not just a feature request. But either way. I won’t argue about whethter that’s indeed a bug or just a FR :slight_smile:

Thanks.

1 Like

It’s been accepted as a bug and already fixed and even backported from NC 29 to NC 28 :slight_smile:

Awesome :partying_face:

Closed #43083 as completed via #43147.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.